Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:41:19 -0700

[This is my personal favorite cake recipe.  I adapted it from an old
traditional applesauce cake recipe.  It ALWAYS turns out perfect!  I use
this for birthdays, etc.  I sometimes substitute pureed pineapple for the
apple sauce & leave out the spices.  Once I multiplied it X 1.5 and baked
it in a 9x13 inch cake pan. It was a nice size for a birthday party.]
APPLE SAUCE CAKE
Cream:
1/2 cup butter (one stick)
1 1/2 cup sugar
Add & beat well:
2 eggs
Add:
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups GF flour mix (any kind, any mixture!)
1/2 cup corn starch
1 heaping teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
!/2 teaspoon cinnamon
!/2 teaspoon cloves
        Beat til smooth.  Baked in greased 8 inch pan @ #50 degreed F for 45
minutes.  Serve plain or frosted. For more fiber substitute ground flax
seed for some of the flour.  I use about 2 tablespoons.  Also the
original recipe calls for 1 cup of raisins.  I don't add the raisins
because I don't want it to be heavy.
------------
Hi, don't overlook the fact that you can dehydrate the apples. I wash,
cut in pieces and place on screen covered trays out in the sun during the
day. Here in No. California, they dry in about 2 or 3 days. If you can't
put them out in the sun (due to rain etc) use a dehydrator or your oven.
After they are dried, I put them in zip lock bags and freeze them. They
are great to snack on later on in the year. I dry peaches, mangos,
tomatoes etc this way. Dan
------------
I don't know what kind you have, but this recipe uses Granny Smith
apples. I adapted it to GF, it originally came from a Pampered Chef book.
I love it because it cooks in the microwave, and can stand while you eat
dinner for a nice dessert. I just made some last week! Enjoy- Renae
Apple Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp
        Fruit Filling:
1 jar (12 oz) strawberry preserves
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp GF flour (I use Bette's Featherlite Blend)
1 lb (3 medium) Granny Smith apples
3 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
        Streusel Topping:
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
6 or 7 Pamela's Pecan Shortbread cookies (1 1/4 cups) chopped
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/3 cup GF flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
        mix preserves, sugar,and flour for filling in small bowl. Peel, core and
slice apples, then cut in half crosswise. Coat apples and rhubarb with
preserves mix and spoon into 8-cup baking dish.
        For topping, mix chopped cookies, almonds, flour, sugar and cinnamon.
Add melted butter and mix well. Sprinkle evenly over fruit filling.
        Microwave on high 13-15 minutes or until apples are tender, turning dish
 after 7 minutes. Let stand about 30 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream
or whipped topping.
        Can be cooked in the oven- add 1 tbsp flour to fruit mixture and bake at
350
for 45-50 minutes.
        Variation: Pine-Apple Crisp
Substitute pineapple preserves for strawberry, omit sugar and reduce
flour to 1 tbsp. Omit rhubarb and use 2 lbs Granny Smith apples. For more
tropical flavor use coconut macaroons for some of the cookies and nutmeg
instead of cinnamon.
-------------------
Apple Cake
1 cup sugar
3/4 cooking oil (I substitute with oil and applesauce)
2 eggs
2 cups flour (gf)
1 teasp. baking powder
1 teasp. cinnamon
3 cups sliced apples
2 teasp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup choc. bits
pinch salt
1 1/2 teasp. xanthan gum
        Cream first three ingredients then add vanilla; add dry ingredients.
Stir by
hand. Dough is thick. Bake in tube pan or loaf pan. Bake 1 hour at 325
degrees. No frosting needed.   Mary in NH
----------------
[Here's a constribution from someone who really understands what it's
like to have an abundant crop of apples!  ha ha!]

Don't panic......just cut them up in slices (peeled and seeded) and place
in a pot and start the cooking process......don't really cook them, just
start. Then freeze them. You can do that in plastic freezer bags or
containers (use the same sized measurements or at least label them
because you will need to know how many apples are in the frozen state---
needing more for a pie than you might for a cake)........then anytime
during the course of the winter when you need to remember the summer,
those apples can be made into apple pies, apple sauce, apple delight,
apple crumble, apples & pork casserole, apple & cranberry
relish........well I am guessing you are understanding me. I miss the
apple trees we used to have, but I do know they are a time consuming
trees to have.......well worth it though. My Mother use to freeze apples
in her favorite pie pan and popped it out to a freezer wrapping paper.
Then when she made the pie the apples already conformed to her pie pan.
That is too much for me....I just lay them flat so they will somewhat go
into the pan.
        If you start the cooking process before freezing the apples (not in a
crust), they won't turn brown. I don't like to use additives like lemon
juice......I can taste when too much of that was used. Lemon juice can be
added to the pie if you like that lemon touch in creating the final dish.
If you have many apples and they are lacking in flavor, start that
cooking process in a little apple juice (Martinell's is a strong flavor
and you don't need much ...you can also cut down the use of sugar if
juice is used).  Np
------------
Apple Fritters
GF DRY FLOUR MIX:
2 c brown rice flour 2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour 1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch 1/2 c rice bran or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum
        Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister. Use 1 c of this
mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour. Works very well in
cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out sugar cookies.
Apple Fritters
1 c gf flour mix 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
½ c milk
1 tsp oil
        Mix quickly with beaters until smooth. Stir in about 1 c peeled, chopped
apples. Drop level tablespoonsful into hot fat and fry about 5 min or
until cooked. Serve with white syrup.  Jan from ND
---------------
I use Fern Brown Rice Baking Mix (muffin recipe on the box) and add
chopped apples to the mix.  The Fern mix is available in health food
stores in my area. Barb  MA
---------------
Hello from Iowa, I freeze my apples (cutup) and applesauce for later use.
 The cut up apples must be
sprinkled with ascorbic acid.  Vicki
--------------
    My mom's cobbler recipe was 1/2 c each of sugar, flour and milk plus
a little baking powder or soda in the flour.  You mix it and either pour
it on the bottom of a well greased pan loaf or casserole dish, and pour a
quart of
fruit on top, or visa versa, it seems to work fine both ways.  The acid
in the fruit is usually enough to work with the soda.  I've made this
with rice flour and with coconut milk.  I've also made various apple
crisps and
crumbles all kinds of ways.  The original apple crisp is flour and oats,
sugar and butter, mixed with the fingers and sprinkled on top of the
fruit. I've added molasses to replace part of the butter, but nowadays I
make it all kinds of weird ways.  Tahini to replace part of the butter,
or tahini and coconut oil.  Coconut to replace part of the oats, and I'll
bet it would be even better with some pecans.
    You've eaten zucchini bread, great stuff, but even better done with
apples!   Take your standard zucchini bread recipe, replace 1 cup of
flour with 1 and 1/4 cups of oats (McCann's unless you can't even eat
those) and
cut the sugar in half.  Actually, I was already cutting the sugar in half
in everything I made, but I halfed that amount.  I always kept dried
coconut on hand  for this, the texture and flavor are better than nuts or
raisins for
this recipe.
    And another one, for something really different.  Make a bottom
crust, actually be lazy, mix 1 cup rice flour with 1/2 cup butter with
your fingers and kind of press it on the bottom of the pan and partway up
the sides.
fill the crust with apples, then mix up half a pecan pie recipe (look on
the back of a Karo syrup bottle) and pour it over the apples.  Bake.
   Donna

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!