From:
Roberta Valderas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roberta Valderas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:44:52 -0400

I received 6 responses to my question regarding Brewers Yeast.  My
question was:  One of the supplements I was taking had Brewers Yeast in
it.  Can anyone tell me why Brewers Yeast is on the "forbidden list"?
Does it contain wheat or gluten?

One  said they wanted to know that as well.

One said she read an article on it and thought it could contain gluten.

One said she thought it had something to do with the name "Brewers" and
being associated with brewing beer.

One said it was deadly and not to eat it.

One said it was just speculation but she thought that brewer's yeast
was a by-product that had already been used in the brewing process.
She also thought that there was a molecular similarity with yeast and
gluten and it was not uncommon to react to yeast as to gluten.

Finally one said that brewers yeast was grown in an water extract of
malt and hops.  It is used in supplements because it is inexpensive and
a natural food source of the B vitamins.

Thanks to all who responded,
Bobbie