Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:06:46 -0400

These are the replies that I received from people in regards to my Six Flags New England question. With a month or so left before school starts (at least here in RI!), families might still be planning trips and hopefully, this will help with the different places. Susan

"I was just at Six Flags in Illinois and had no problem bring food in for my daughter who has celiac and diabetes."

"I have brought our own cooler and went back out to the parking lot.  I would also think that if you pressed the matter they would have to allow you to bring in specialty food or they would be discriminating against you."

"I have called ahead and then was able to bring a cooler of food to the "nursing" station.  I was stopped by security a few times and had to have "words".  Once in there was no problem getting access to my food at any time of day.  Only problem was bringing something that needed to be heated up i.e. hot-dogs.  Some employees will heat it up for you others send you on an adventure to find one. Have fun it was worth the minimal hassle. If you could have someone drop you off with the at he front door it would make life easier."

"My family just went to Hershey Park yesterday...and I brought in food in a backpack (crackers, licorice, dressing, etc.). They searched my backpack and gave me no problems at all!"

"Get a note from your doctor or dietitian that states that you are on a special diet and must eat only your own food and can not eat food at concessions, etc.  Carry this with you whenever you go to parks,
stadiums, etc.  It worked for me when I accompanied my brother to the NCAA basketball playoffs."

"I brought in my own food and was never questioned.  I was also told that if I gave them notice, one of the restaurants could prepare a GF meal for me while in the park.  This was in another state though.  Best of luck!"

"I would suggest contacting the executive chef (if there is one) or food manager at the park- check the website there should be a list of phone numbers- if not you can always call and explain your situation to whoever you get and they will put you in touch with the right person."
Good Luck!

"My daughter has a note from her Gastro MD on a prescription pad for this purpose. I also suggest calling ahead & getting the name of a manager to ok bringing in food. If they won't do it, threaten to report them for failing to comply with Disability Act. Good luck!"

"I live in Texas so I have never been there.  At Sea World they do not let you bring food.  I always have snacks in my bag and have never been questioned.  But, that is a different chain. At Sea World, they will stamp your hand for reentry.  When we go to Sea World I pack a picnic.  When we are ready to eat we get our hand stamped, eat a picnic lunch and return to the park.  We save money and without the lines, I think we also save time.  Six Flags may have a out like this."

"If I was going, I would call ahead, explain my situation, ask what I could safely eat and ask about bringing in my own food."

"Oh, wow -  I have NEVER had problems bringing food into Six Flags New England (not even when it was
Riverside)!  I must say I'm surprised......"

"Last summer I went to the one in Jackson, NJ - I brought my own food and left it in a cooler in the car.  You can get your hand stamped and do a re-entry."

"My teenage daughter went there with her school at the end of this last school year.  She does not like to make a big fuss about the celiac thing but since she was to be gone all day I called ahead and found that with a school group they rarely check but even without a school group you can bring special foods if necessary and they will provide a place for you to keep them if you wish.  I believe I ended up talking with security in the end, sounds strange but true."

"I live right near the General Manager of Six Flags Agawam - let me know if you have a problem and I'll explain it to him and I'm sure they will let you bring in (under this exception).  I know they don't allow food in, but you could always go to eat in your car as another option."

"We were planning on going to this park and I was wondering about the food. A friend told me the bottom line is NO food is allowed to be brought in--but she has gone and brought a cooler--because she does not want to buy the food--and you are allowed to leave to eat and then return. My friend is not
GF. She believes it is a rule they have--NO food for any reason. Not sure if that helps."

"If bringing in food from an outside source is going to be a problem, you should carry a note from your doctor saying you are on a medically prescribed diet to treat celiac disease & it is necessary to bring you own food in insure it is 100% gluten free. If the doctor writes it up on an prescription pad, it very official. You can also call ahead of time & inform them of your plans.  If they want you to come they will allow it.
It's hard to tell those with sincere medical needs from the cheap people who just don't want to by food on site.  Unless people present this as a serious medical condition, and a Rx for g.f. food does that, businesses will have no incentive to accommodate our need for g.f. or allergen information or food for their participants. "

"I've never been there but the standard solution is to pack a cooler and then have a picnic at your car when you're ready to eat. There's no need to cave and buy food you don't feel is safe."

"Awhile back we were discussing the Americans with Disabilities act? I'm not sure if I have the name
correct. Anyway, I feel this is why as Celiacs we need to be protected. I read the description of what qualifies as a disability. Certainly, if we are not allowed to go places like concerts and theme parks, then we should qualify. We should be able to go to places just like someone in a wheelchair. But, how long can someone be expected to stay somewhere with nothing to eat? I know I need 3 meals a day, so in essence, if what you stated about Six Flags is true, then no one with Celiac or any other allergies would be able to go. In that sense, we are absolutely disabled.

Thanks to Julie M., Chris F., Sabrina, Lisa, Diane (in Denver), Diane, Eleis, "Embgc", Francie (Austin, TX), Jean (Copley, Ohio), Kathy, "KawaSASSki", Kristi, Lisa (Westfield), Mary, Bev in Milwaukee, Richard and Molly (Santa Monica, CA)!!