From:
"J.V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.V. Rich
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:57:09 -0700

We have been trying how to get more fiber into our diets now that oat
bran and wheat bran are off limits.  I was adding flax to our baked
goods until our naturopath said that high temperatures make the oil in
the flax go rancid and so it is not really a food you want to cook
with.  I tried a pea fiber that Kinnikkinnik makes but my daughter
could taste it and refused to eat anything I made with it (I couldn't
taste it at all).  Never tried baking with rice bran because I cooked
it up as a hot cereal and it tasted dreadful to me.

Our latest solution is psyllium husks powder.  It doesn't add any
flavor (that even my picky daughter can taste) and doesn't change the
texture of baked goods.  You do have to add additional water and I
haven't figured out how much, I just keep adding water until the
consistency looks right.  I have used it in muffins and nut bread with
success.  Have not used it in a yeast bread.  I couldn't find much on
the internet about people cooking with psyllium and so I contacted the
manufacturer and this is the customer service representative's reply:

Thank you for contacting Yerba Prima, Inc.  It is safe to bake with
Psyllium.  We have some bakeries who order from us.  It does not damage
the
value of the husks.  It is great as a soup thickener, in smoothies and
on
the top of oatmeal too.  I will pass on to our web designers about
adding
this (to the website) because we are in the process of having our web
site re-designed.

Shelley Matteson
Yerba Prima, Inc.

I have no financial interest in this or any other psyllium company, but
a great deal of interest in being healthy.

Jackie in AZ