From:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:01:14 -0400

I'm just wondering if I am alone in this. I have a yucky scalp problem
called Pityriasis Amiantacea (sometimes called Tinea Amiantacea). Here is a
description from a web site: "Pityriasis amiantacea is an easily
recognizable cutaneous disease that is characterized by scaling of the scalp
and temporary alopecia. The scaling, described as thick and asbestos-like,
binds down tufts of hair. The alopecia may be temporary or scarring." It is
NOT itchy!

I had my first major outbreak of this in 1995 right before my wedding and
lost about 1/3 of my hair. I was 25 years old. It was awful. I was under a
ton of stress and that is when I started getting problems with my
fingernails and general health. I think that is when I officially became
celiac, and I think there is a connection with my scalp problems and gluten
intake. I notice if I make a boo boo and eat gluten, my "rash" comes back
and my hair starts falling out really bad - at least I think that's the
cause. I even noticed that when I color my hair lately I have an outbreak,
which makes me think there could be gluten in my hair color. I checked the
conditioner that came with the color and sure enough there was wheat in it
(I didn't use it!). I plan to stop coloring my hair all over now and just
get foil hilites (product not touching scalp). Anyway, my scalp problem even
lingers when I am GF, although when I first went GF it did disappear for a
month and I grew in a ton of new hair! Then it fell out again (from coloring
or eating gluten or stress).

So, is anyone in the same boat? Does anyone else have this problem and what
do you do to help it? Also, I have some autoimmune issues besides CS -
Hashimoto's Thyroid, Endometriosis, PCOS, and possible lupus and/or
Sjogren's (have the antibodies).

Thanks in advance, and I will summarize if I get any answers.
Christine in NH
2 year old son, self-dx'ed - both of us GF since 2/04