VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:02:42 +0100
Hi Deborah,

Yikes!  It's 10am here, so if you are in the States, you
must be up late or early! (Smile)

We have 3 Seiko personal label printers here in the office
and one at home.  You'll find details at:-

http://www.siibusinessproducts.com/products/printers.html

I've just had a quick look at the where to buy link, and
ComputersPlus to name but one supplier have them at between
$100 and $200.  For occasional use, the cheapest will more
than suffice.

We certainly would not be without ours.  They are a great
tool.

George.

Scott.
>  It sounds like the least expensive way to go.  If it is
more
> headache than it's worth, the next step probably is the
> dedicated label maker.  I say that, of course, without
having
> ever looked at them, so have no idea of cost!  Your
message
> gives the impression you have used one.
> Could you tell me the particular brand name with which
you've
> had some success?  Thanks so much.
>
> Deborah

one
> of those personal label printers from Avery, Seiko or Dymo

> for example, is a great solution. They come with
accessible
> software of their own, but usually integrate with other
> applications such as Word.  You will find all sorts of
other
> uses for these other than just addresses.
>
> There are also various other solutions for one off
> situations, depending on what software you have on your
system.

> For example in Word (certainly in Word 2003) under the
Tools
> menu, Letters and Mailings, then Envelopes and Mailings,
> there is an excellent facility for producing envelopes
with
> the recipient's address plus optionally a return address.
> You can even add an electronic postage module if you wish
> print the stamp.  (In the UK, we have "Smart Stamp" from
> Royal mail to add postage.)
>
> The dialog is hopefully fairly intuitive, but of course it
is
> essential to select the correct size of envelope.  Also,
it
> is worth experimenting with a sighted friend's help, to
> ensure you know how to align the envelope into your
printer.

> George.

must
> be
> > a solution, and it's driving me crazy.  Every sighted
> person
> > I ask tell me about the sheets (8.5 x 11) of labels.
But
> that's for
> > producing a large mailing.  I just want to be
> able
> > to address one large envelope at a time, like a 9 x 12
manilla
> > envelope.  It's embarrassing to have things to
> mail
> > to editors and have to wait for a sighted person to
> address
> > the envelope by hand!  Any help appreciated.  And if
this
> is
> > something that *everyone* in the world knows how to do,
my

> > pride can handle it!  Fire away with all and any
> suggestions!
> >
> > Deborah
> >

> > VICUG-L is the Visually Impaired Computer User Group
List.