From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:53:27 -0500
I know some of these Athlon 64 motherboards have some qualifications about
what memory you can use and what speed you can run them at, if you fill all
four slots.  Is the brand and model of memory you are running on the list of
those qualified by Asus to run with four modules installed?

I take it that clearing the CMOS and trying again with all four slots filled
doesn't do the trick.  You might try running the memory at DDR 333 speeds to
see if that works.  But, this means running with only two slots filled,
changing the BIOS, shutting down, and then reinserting the othe two DIMMs.

As to trying to get it all to run at DDR 400 speeds, make sure the command
timing is at 2T instead of 1T, if you've manually set that.  If you manually
set the memory timings, I would go the other direction, instead of CAS2.  I
would go for a more relaxed set of timings, such as 3 3 3 8 2.  If that
would work, I might try to tweak some of timings back down, such as CAS2.5.

As for other settings to look at, check to see what the Vdimm is (in the
part of the BIOS where you can check temperatures and voltages).  Then, I'd
compare that voltage reading to what your memory is rated for.  If the
memory itself is good and all four modules will work at DDR 333, maybe try
bumping the memory voltage up to whatever the memory is rated for, if it is
defaulting to something less than that.

John Sproule