From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2004 09:33:33 -0400
I would advise that you pick the best and fastest of the CPU choices, which if the seller's description is accurate would be a P3 600. These are very old CPU's that you will have to track down on ebay, other auction sites, or computer surplus sellers.  The finished product is going to be very dated when done, and won't support a lot of hardware, so I'd consider maybe starting with a later model used mobo and going from there.  Almost everything you'll need for the mobo you now have will be hard to find. It won't support large hard drives, modern video cards, many optical drives, and probably not even USB.  You can get way more modern barebones systems from computer surplus stores online for $200 or even less if you look. What you are thinking of building will cost more than that and be outdated immediately.

>I purchased a motherboard as the start of a system to be used as an office
>word processor and email machine.  My computer building experience is limited.
>Here is the seller's description of the MB:
>
>"This is a used tested Intel SE440BX-2
>Supports Celeron 266 - 433, P2 266 - 450, P3 450 - 600
>Memory 3 Slots up to 768MB PC66, PC100, PC133 168 pin SDRAM
>Integrated Yamaha* PCI audio
>CPU Retaining brackets are included."
>
>I'd appreciate advice concerning selection of a CPU. Speed is not a primary
>consideration.
>I am concerned with compatibility, availability, dependability, bus speed
>considerations, etc.
>All suggestions, opinions, or other input would be appreciated.
>Thanks, Bob Lendrim
>

>        The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>       tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>           Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml