VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pratik patel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pratik patel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 07:57:09 -0400

Hello all,

Such a "panic" would not be caused by NLS simply providing an explanation of
what the situation is.  While I understand that they may not be able to tell
us everything, at leasta brief glimpse into the proverbial bureaucratic mind
would be helpful.  Unless there is some kind of "national security
issue,"--isn't everything one?--there is no reason why NLS should be so
silent.  Let me suggest that many blind people who appear to be "panicking"
are simply doing so because of an arrogant, off-handed manner in which NLS
appears to be treating the community.  It's the "follow us without question"
model that gawls me.  While I would typically agree that patience in these
cases is the best method to employ, this situation warrants something more.

A simple petition to request web-braill return isn't sufficient.  I, for
one, am more upset at the treatment that blind community is facing.  I would
rather have an apology from MR. Cilke and an explanation then flood them
with requests to restore.  It is obvious that web-braille is going to return
in some form or another.  The silence does make me wonder what form that
will take; and I have my suspicions as well.  But the strategy here is
completely wrong.

Pratik

Pratik Patel
Director, CUNY Assistive technology Services (CATS)
The City University of New York