VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Gallik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Gallik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:20:41 -0500
Hi,

I am personally using Norton's Ghost to create system drive images on a
secondary hard drive.this can be rather complicated, but it is worth the
effort.  You need a secondary hard drive with sufficient space to hold
system drive images and this secondary drive should have at least one
partition formatted in the FAT file system format.  I use JAWS For DOS so
the DOS you use must be compatible with this -- the version of DOS supplied
by Norton Ghost is PC-DOS and not usable with JFD.

The idea is that you want your PC to boot from a diskette into this DOS with
JFD running to give you accessibility.  Then you write some uncomplicated
batch file to do the "create" and "restore" functions that will allow you to
use Ghost since it is not JAWS friendly at all.  You can run the batch
command with parameters to provide for naming images differently from backup
to backup and I suggest you also create logs of your Ghost activities.