Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:32:40 +1300
Chuck, it's simple enough to do what you want - just set your jumpers correctly and format the new drive with XP's native drive management system ;

Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management.

However, your system will run much better if you transfer it to the new HDD and it's a lot easier than you might expect, provided that you're prepared to invest in some software.

Acronis Migrate Easy 6 makes it an absolute breeze to copy the entire contents of your old HDD to a new one that's been set up as a temporary slave.

Get Acronis Migrate Easy 6 if you can.  If it's no longer available, get Acronis True Image 7.  These two were separate programs until recently when Acronis merged Migrate Easy into True Image.

Actually, Acronis seem very keen to make Migrate Easy vanish, which is curious.  I had Migrate Easy 6 installed on my workshop (and guinea pig) machine, then I installed True Image 7 also.  To my surprise, it ate up Migrate Easy 6, so that all was left was True Image 7.  When I enquired, Acronis told me that this was a normal result of the True Image installation.

Ok, TI7 functions functions in much the same way, and has additional features, but I still prefer Migrate Easy 6 - it's just such an easy-to-use program.

All you need do is set up your hardware (master and slave), install Migrate Easy 6, copy the old HDD to the new one (no need to format the new HDD) switch off on completion, remove the original HDD, make the new one the master, reboot and away you go.

And if it goes wrong - you can do it again - you still have your old drive intact.

After the restart, XP will recognise the new drive as fresh hardware and will want to reboot a final time.

What you do now with the old HDD is up to you.  If you keep it, set it as the slave, and I suggest you rename it's Windows folder to something else.  Anything, so long as it's not Windows.  And, as added insurance, rename the old drive's IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS also.  You'll have to change their properties from Read-only before you do.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand