From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:29:25 -0400
OK, here we go.

While you might initially wonder at the K2's single conversion
receiver, please be assured that this doesn't take away from its
performance. What the K2 does, it does extremely well. Its receiver
has been compared favorably to such high-end offerings as the Yaesu
FT-1000 and Icom IC-756--and Ten-Tec Omni VI and Orion, at
considerably less money.

The base K2 is about 15 watts, cw only, 80-10 meters. The K2 does not
have a general coverage receiver; it's ham bands only, but great for
that. You can tailor it to your liking: there's an integrated 100-watt
amplifier option, you can get a module to make the rig do SSB and
digital modes. There's also a module for 160 meters plus separate
receive antenna, a noise blanker option, you can have either an
audio-based DSP or a straight audio filter for cw installed as
well. The top cover of the K2 can be switched out for the 100-watt
amp, or the 100-watt amp can be remotely mounted with the optional
100-watt automatic tuner, or you can have the external tuner by itself
with the 100-watt amp mounted on the radio. In the QRP cover, you can
have a 2.9-Amp/hour gel cell battery, low-power automatic tuner (with
two antenna inputs), and a computer input. To use the KRC2 for audible
morse readout, you'll need either the 100-watt amp (which has the
computer interface) or the computer interface board. Or both, if you
plan to take your K2 out and run it QRP and not take the amp.

The K2 is fantastic: it hasa low current draw, excellent receiver
performance, can do SSB and CW and digital modes. SSB audio is
narrower than on some rigs, but it's optomized to get through and
still sounds good. Actually, even without the KRC2, the K2 is pretty
accessible anyway. I used mine for a while before the KRC2 was ready!
But if you want a general coverage receiver, AM operation, FM
operation, or gee-whiz bells and whistles, the K2 won't work for
you. But if you want great performance, a quiet receiver that pulls
signals out of the air and won't overload in the presence of other
radios nearby, a reasonably uncluttered and easy-to-use interface
(once you get the hang of it), and let's not forget supporting a
company that has made a commitment to make their rigs accessible to
us, do yourself a favor and buy a K2. Or a K2/100. I absolutely love
operating mine, and I promise, it's really the cat's meow if you like
to operate cw. If you have questions about it, ask me or Gary, and if
we can't answer, Wayne and Eric are great guys and would be glad to
show off their baby.

Vy 73, and welcome back to the hobby.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV