From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:52:53 -0400
I was just talking to a friend who runs a net locally, he uses a
Braille-n-speak for notes and check ins with an earphone, he's been doing it
for a few years, some times he does it with out the ear phone and honestly,
I didn't know he was a blind ham until a couple weeks ago I heard the BNS in
the background and asked about it after the net, it was a swap and shop, he
memorized the preamble, wording isn't important as long as you get the point
across. I'm planning to try running ECARS for a shift in the winter months I
think, can't in the summer my schedule doesn't allow it but I've practiced
here and honestly, it's not too bad, you just need to find what works for
you, even sighted hams I know, some do everything hand written, some to use
tapes, some use the computer, some use a combo of the 3, some use other
methods but you have a lot of great ideas out there to start with now. You
can always put the mic down between transmitions. Your first time or few
times, mention to the net to go slow and bare with you since you are new to
running a net, most people will understand.