From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:00:39 -0400
Hi to all.

To add to Patrick's comments, the other advantage that I see to software
control is that one can customize the response from the screen reader
either through the use of JAWS scripts, or Window-Eyes SET files to bring
out certain desired features of the interface.  Moreover, improvements and
revisions, which can have a significant impact on the personality of the
radio, are much easier to implement in a software based control
system.  True, the portability is an issue, and I wouldn't relish hauling a
notebook computer out with a Icom IC-703, especially since the batteries
will last a lot longer on the Icom than they will on the computer.

I like the idea of controlling a radio from a Pac Mate, although my pockets
aren't deep enough to have one of those kiddos.  I wish I were talented
enough at Windows programming to write an ap for Windows CE that would do
rig control--I'm sure that a lot of people would consider controlling rigs
from pocket PCs--not just those of us who are blind.

I downloaded Ham Radio Deluxe to control my Icom IC-706 MkII G, but I still
need an interface to control the radio.  Are there any aftermarket
interfaces that will control this radio?  Icom's interface is awfully
overpriced.  A friend of mine looked over what was in one of those and said
that it could be home-brewed for about $25.  I admit that I haven't
mastered the technique of soldering without being able to see what I'm
doing, so home-brewing isn't really a good option for me, but I'd love to
give controlling the '706 from the computer a try.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]