Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:17:24 -0600

walt wrote:
   >When I
   >was in Florida, I started telling people that during an emergency
   >net, wasn't the time to learn how to handle traffic.  Several times
   >during a hurricane when someone would check in that wanted to send
   >a message and didn't know how.  The NCS would pair them off with a
   >regular traffic handler.  I did this at least two times, once the
   >message was originated by the other man and the other time I
   >originated the message.  Now is the time to learn how to handle
   >traffic.
NOt just is it a good idea for those who might want to originate
radiograms, but the skills you develop as a regular traffic handler
will stand you in good stead if you have to shadow the local official
with your HT.  Even though it's FM a lot of times the station you're
trying to copy a message from might not be full quieting, or god
forbid you'll have to go to simplex.  VOicing messages to be easily
copyable by the receiving station is a learned skill as well and
practice is better when you're not on the sharp end of the rope.  Get
that practice and training now!!!

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania