EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Alfieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:08:47 -0400
AccessWorld (R) Extra
A bi-monthly e-mail newsletter of additional AccessWorld content
Volume 4, Number 4
August 2004

"Remove" instructions at bottom

Contents

1. From the Editor

2. Cell Phone Features Survey

3. Readers' Corner

4. Coming Soon in AccessWorld (R)

5. Shopping Online at Lands' End and L. L. Bean

6. What's New

7. Contact Us

Note: This material is copyright 2004 American Foundation for the
Blind and may not be reprinted or reproduced electronically without
permission. AccessWorld (R) is a trademark of the American
Foundation for the Blind.

=================
1. From the Editor
=================

Dear AccessWorld Reader: Welcome to the August 2004 edition of
AccessWorld Extra, the e-mail newsletter produced by AccessWorld
staff in each of the six months when AccessWorld is not published.

This month's Readers' Corner includes answers from June's question
about web sites that you have difficulty using. This issue also
includes a review by Koert Wehberg, summer intern extraordinaire,
of Landsend.com and LLBean.com, two of the sites a reader mentioned
average screen-reader user.

In lieu of our usual survey question, this month we ask for your
help in updating the criteria we use to evaluate various cell phones. As
regular readers know, the staff of AFB TECH in Huntington, West
Virginia, evaluate each cell phone using a list developed two years
ago of 16 features (affectionately known as the "Sweet 16") that
would be most helpful to visually impaired users. New cell phone
features keep appearing, so please take a few minutes and fill out
the survey in section 2 so that we can examine features you think
are important in future evaluations.

AccessWorld Extra is designed to be easy to read for everyone.
Items are numbered, and you can search for the beginning of the
next item, since each item is preceded by a line of equal signs.
Send your comments to <[log in to unmask]>. This e-mail
newsletter is meant to provide, in each of the six months when
the regular AccessWorld is not published, more of what you have
told us you want--more of AccessWorld. We hope you will love it,
but if you decide that you want to be taken off the distribution list,
please e-mail us at <[log in to unmask]> and let us know. If
your e-mail address changes, please also contact us at that
address and we will add your new address to the distribution list.

We strongly encourage you to forward AccessWorld Extra to a
friend, relative, teacher, or someone else who is not an
AccessWorld reader. Please help us spread the news that
AccessWorld is now free for all to read.

Just be sure to forward the entire issue, including the copyright
notice.

Jay Leventhal
Editor in Chief

=================
2. Cell Phone Features Survey
=================
Darren Burton

As frequent readers of AccessWorld know, we have published several
articles on cell phone accessibility over the last couple of years.
Interest from our readers, as well as our desire to influence the
design processes of manufacturers, has driven our work in this
area, and we will continue evaluating phones as more new
models begin to show signs of accessibility. Our six articles
evaluating the accessibility of several phones on the market
benefited greatly from input from people who are blind or visually
impaired, and we are once again asking for your help. In early
2003, we surveyed 40 cell phone users who are blind or visually
impaired to determine which features were the most important for
accessibility. This resulted in the creation of a list of features
that we have called the "Sweet 16," which we have used as the
standard to judge the phones we evaluate.

These 16 features are
Keys that are easily identifiable by touch
Voice output
Accessible documentation
Battery level indicator
Roaming indicator
Message indicator
Phone book
Phone lock mode
Keypad lock mode
Power indicator
Ringing or vibrating mode indicator
GPS (global positioning system) feature
Signal strength indicator
Ringer volume control
Caller identification
Speed dialing

To stay current, and to find out your opinions as the cell phone
world has evolved over the last 15 months, we now offer another
survey. We are asking you to rate the importance of new features
that are not included in the Sweet 16 list, such as video cameras
and multimedia messaging. If you have an interest in the issue of
cell phone accessibility and are willing to spend a few minutes
filling out the questionnaire below, we would greatly appreciate
your input. We will publish the results in a future issue of
AccessWorld. We will also use the results in our future cell phone
evaluation articles and in our advocacy efforts with
manufacturers. Thank you for your help.

Personal information will be kept confidential. Your name will not
be published without your permission.

Cell Phone Questionnaire

To respond, you can copy and paste the survey into a new e-mail
message, list the appropriate choices in a separate e-mail, or hit
reply and place your answers next to the choices right in this
message.
1. Vision Status: Please place an X before the statement that best
applies to you.
__ I am blind, and I use nonvisual means to read.
__ I am visually impaired, but I use nonvisual means to read.
__ I am visually impaired, and I use my vision with or without
magnification devices to read.

2. What cell phone do you currently use?
Manufacturer:
Model number:

3. Typically, how often do you use your cell phone?
__ Daily.
__ A few times a week.
__ Less than once a week.
__ Less than once a month.

4. What do you like most about your current cell phone? Please list
items and put an X before the most important one.

5. What do you dislike most about your current cell phone? Please
list items and put an X before the most important one.

Features Rating Section

This section has 3 parts, each containing various cell phone
features that we would like you to rate on a scale from 1 to 3.
Place a 1 in front of an item that holds little or no importance to
you; place a 3 in front of an item that is extremely important to
you.

6. Status Indicators
Please rate the importance of making the following status
indicators accessible.
__ Volume indicator
__ Speaker-phone-in-use indicator
__ Mute indicator
__ Digital vs. analog mode indicator
__ Time/date indicator
__ Missed calls indicator
__ Indicator of the service provider to which you are connected

7. Accessibility of general cell phone features
Using the same scale of 1-3, please rate the importance of making
the following general features accessible.
__ Voice-activated dialing
__ Ringer type selection
__ Talk timer, which times your calls so you don't spend too much
money
__ Call waiting
__ Redial
__ Web access
__ Three-way calling
__ Text messaging
__ Backspace (to backspace over misdialed numbers instead of
clearing the entire phone number)
__ Two-way calling (a "walkie-talkie" feature)
__ Call forwarding
__ Wireless connectivity to other devices
__ Synchronization with PC applications such as Microsoft Outlook
__ Still camera
__ Video camera
__ Games
__ FM radio
__ Onboard help system
__ Access to call logs
__ Media player for songs and video
__ Multimedia messaging (sending and receiving text, sounds,
images, and video)
__ E-mail
__ Instant messaging
__ Calendar
__ Notetaking functions
__ File manager
__ Calculator
__ Currency converter
__ Alarm clock
__ Customizable ring tones
__ Voice recorder
__ Large control keys
__ Keys grouped by function
__ AC adaptor that is easy to connect
__ Hands-free headset

8. Vision-oriented features. (For respondents with some vision.)
Please rate the importance of having the following features on a
cell phone.
__ Large control keys
__ High-contrast, color-coded control keys
__ Keys grouped by function
__ Illuminated keys
__ Large display with large characters
__ Color display
__ High-contrast display
__ Ability to adjust display contrast
__ Back-lit or illuminated display
__ Zoom capability for display

9. Please add any additional comments you may have.

=================
3. Readers' Corner
=================

Here's your forum for talking to us and to each other.

In June, we asked about web sites that you have difficulty using.

We asked:

Name a web site, or a category of web sites, that you have trouble
accessing. Or, if you are an expert web surfer, name a web site
that you recommend to other people who are blind or visually
impaired.

Bill McCann
"Earlier this week I needed to fly out of the Baltimore-Washington
International Airport. In haste, I tried to find some driving
directions at <http://www.bwiairport.com> and quickly discovered
that this web site was one of the most speech-unfriendly sites I
have ever visited! Now that I have returned from my travels, I went
back to the site and listened to JAWS reading the entire home page
just to be sure I had not missed something in my original rush to
find the information I wanted. Sure enough, if you spend what seems
an eternity listening to JAWS read all kinds of useless nonsense to
you, you will at last hear a reference to a "Text Site" link! Once
one clicks on that link a much more accessible page comes up.

"Even on that page, I cannot find an e-mail address for their
webmaster. I did find [a postal address] but no voice or fax
number. I am not willing to take the time to send a letter to these
people, but of course they should make their links readable and,
at the minimum, put the text-only link at the beginning of their
home page.

"Thanks for launching this effort and for any follow up support AFB
can provide."

Mark McDevitt
"I have always had difficulty in viewing the Lands' End and the L.
L. Bean web sites. If I ordered merchandise from either company, it
was by talking to the customer service representatives by phone.

"Thank you for this chance to express my opinion. Keep up the good
work."

Doug Rose
"To answer the question you proposed about web site access, I find
that the sites where you can look up business names or personal
names (such as Switchboard.com, YellowPages.com, etc.) to not be
user-friendly. Also sites like Dell.com and other computer
companies have very involved sites that are difficult to navigate
and to search. For example, on Dell you are suppose to be able to
customize a system. I didn't find it that easy, nor did an
experienced sighted computer user.

"Locally, we have a resource for finding service from
organizations, and I find their site simple to use. They are at
<http://www.theswitchboard.org>. Unfortunately their resources
only cover our small geographic area and is mostly limited to social
service-type agencies. I wish other sites were this easy to use."

Your Comments on AccessWorld Articles:

Morgan Jones
"Joe Lazzaro's article, "An Introduction to Web Design," in the May
issue of AccessWorld, was simply fantastic. Joe demystified web
design for me. He is a marvelous teacher.

"In AccessWorld Extra for June, Mike Cole leveled trenchant
criticism on our current screen readers. Those who produce such
assistive devices may shrug off most of his allegations or even
castigate Mr. Cole for his remarks. Nevertheless, what he says has
a great deal of truth in it.

"I agree that there is a growing gap between me and the expert
users of my brand of screen reader. I just struggle to keep my head
above water. How many hot keys and combinations are there?
Honestly, I've never counted, but I'll bet there are a thousand.
The producers will ask, 'What else do you expect us to do?' I don't
know the answer and I have no suggestions. But this I do know: I
spend an inordinate amount of time trying to learn how to use my
screen reader--looking up forgotten commands, using mistaken
commands, and pulling my hair out, while taking time away from my
real, productive work.

"I remember when [the graphical user interface] first came out--I
think it was with the Macintosh or Apple about 1984. I thought,
'WOW! That is WONDERFUL! It is totally intuitive! Just wish I could
handle it.' And when PC's got Windows, screen readers tried to
replicate the ease with which sighted people were able to navigate.
That was [in 1992.] Since then, Windows has gotten easier, but
screen readers have become more and more complicated. As Mike
Cole says, 'Many of us just want the stuff to work better. . . . All
screen reading is way too complex, dealing with seemingly infinite
configurations.'

"In sum, I like the editor's response to Mr. Cole's diatribe: 'If
the companies keep hearing this from their users, perhaps they will
focus more of their efforts on usability and training.' I do hope
they will read our complaints and make a real effort to address our
concerns."

Kolby Garrison
"I am a totally blind high school student, and I read AccessWorld
regularly. I must say that it is one of the best technology
magazines that I have come across so far! Keep up the extremely
good work!

"I love reading all of the different articles about cell phones,
the PAC Mate, BrailleNote, etc. I think that you should do a
comparrison of the new BX and QX models of the PAC Mates, and the
current BrailleNotes. I think that this would be very interesting
for current PAC Mate users, BrailleNote users, and of course
potential buyers! Is AccessWorld available for download to a PAC
Mate or other braille notetaking devices?

"Keep up the extraordinarily good work! I hope to keep reading
AccessWorld forever! You don't know how helpful it is to the blind
consumers, and technology buffs/geeks like myself!"

Editor's response:
It is great to know that high school students are reading
AccessWorld and that one of them considers herself a "technology
buff/geek." We will evaluate the newest models of the PAC Mate,
BrailleNote and other personal digital assistants (PDAs) in
upcoming issues of AccessWorld.

At the end of each AccessWorld article is a "braille-ready" link.
If you select this link, you can download the article in
translated, formatted braille, ready to be sent to a braille
printer or loaded into a PDA with a braille display.

Here is how to download a complete issue of AccessWorld. On the
table of contents page, there is a link called "Entire Issue." It's
right after the links for the individual articles. Select that
link. That puts you on a page that has all of the articles, one
after another. Go to the File menu, select Save As, Tab to the
"Save As Type" combo box, down arrow to Text File and hit Enter.
This will save the whole issue to your computer. Then transfer it
to your PAC Mate. Or, if you are on the Web reading AccessWorld
using your PAC Mate, do the same things to save the entire issue to
your PAC Mate.

Beth from Virginia
"I just wanted to say thanks for the Web-based AccessWorld. What
an easy, convenient way to read this great magazine!

"In the July, 2004 issue, I especially enjoyed the articles "A
Library in Your Hand: A Review of the Book Port and the
BookCourier" and "How Do I Read Thee: Let Me Count the Ways?"
and I would also enjoy an article on the Bookworm, a small braille-
reading device.

"Thanks and keep up the good work!"

=================
4. Coming Soon in AccessWorld (R)
=================

We hope you are enjoying the July 2004 AccessWorld, featuring
evaluations of Telesensory's Pico and Olympia and Pulse Data's
Traveller CCTVs; three cell phones: the Owasys 22C, developed in
Spain, and the Nokia 3650 and 3660 phones, using TALKS software,
from Brand & Grober Communications; Dolphin's Hal screen reader,
the Book Port and the BookCourier; an article on the usability of
accessible voting machines; a report on Digital Talking Book
projects at the Illinois Library for the Blind; and more.

You can read the issue for free or download "printer-ready" or
"braille embosser-ready" files at:
<http://www.afb.org/accessworld>.

Don't miss the September 2004 issue, coming soon. This issue will
bring you:

Diabetes and Visual Impairment: Are Home Blood Pressure Monitors
Accessible? Steven Taylor, Darren Burton, and Mark Uslan

We evaluate the accessibility of home blood pressure monitors. The
authors state that in managing diabetes, maintaining proper blood
pressure is as important as maintaining proper blood glucose
levels. Studies have shown that people with diabetes are twice as
likely to develop high blood pressure (also called hypertension)
and that more than 50% of people with diabetes actually do have
high blood pressure. Despite the fact that nearly one-third of the
17 million Americans with diabetes have a visual impairment, this
article shows, as did our previous articles on insulin pumps and
blood glucose monitors, that there is an extreme shortage of
accessible medical devices to help these people monitor their
health.

Recognizing and Rewarding: A Review of OPENBook and Kurzweil 1000
Koert Wehberg, Deborah Kendrick, and Jay Leventhal

We evaluate the two leading optical character recognition (OCR)
packages. OCR technology continues to improve, and both companies
keep adding other features, such as the ability to search the Web
for e-books, create MP3s, read PDF files, recognize currency, and
more. As a result, people have begun using both of these products
for more and more tasks at work and at home. Find out how they
compare with one another.

The Man and the Machine: An Interview with Ray Kurzweil
Jay Leventhal

Kurzweil, renowned inventor and futurist, was the principal
developer of the first omni-font optical character recognition
program, the first CCD (charge coupled device) flat-bed scanner,
the first text-to-speech synthesizer, the first music synthesizer
capable of recreating the grand piano and other orchestral
instruments, the first commercially marketed large-vocabulary
speech recognition software and, of course, the first text-to-
speech reading machine for people who are blind. He has
successfully founded nine businesses in OCR, music synthesis,
speech recognition, reading technology, virtual reality, financial
investment, medical simulation and cybernetic art. It was
fascinating to hear firsthand his account of events from back in
the mid-1970s, as well as some amazing developments he predicts as
computers continue to grow smaller and more powerful in the twenty-
first century. I am sure you will find both his story and his
predictions riveting.

You Can Take It With You II: A Review of Two More Portable CCTVs
Carol Farrenkopf

This article evaluates two portable CCTVs, the QuickLook from Ash
Technologies and the Assist Vision Slider AV-300 from TIMES
Corporation. The Slider is a lightweight, compact CCTV, while the
QuickLook is a handheld device that can fit in a pocket or purse.
The two devices were used by students and adults in a variety of
locations. Ratings and features charts compare these two products
with products in the same categories that Dr. Farrenkopf reviewed
in our July 2004 issue.

Out of the Blue: Usability Testing at IBM
Joseph Sacco, Guido Corona, and Leila Johannesen

Three IBM staff members describe IBM usability testing conducted at
the company's Silicon Valley Laboratory in San Jose, California.
People who are blind or visually impaired tested the usability of
online documentation for IBM products. They were questioned about
descriptions of figures in documentation, where figures should be
placed, whether praises such as "begin figure description" are
useful and how complicated descriptions of figures could be made
more useful. The results will be incorporated into future IBM
products. IBM has been a leader in accessibility for decades. We
hope other mainstream companies will follow IBM's lead in including
people who are blind or visually impaired in usability testing.

A Virtual Virtuoso: CathyAnne Murtha
Deborah Kendrick

We interview CathyAnne Murtha, founder of Access Technology
Institute. Murtha does her part to fill the gap of qualified
trainers in the field by teaching beginners to use assistive
technology, writing textbooks, and conducting online training via
voice chat. Sit in on a class with Kendrick and learn about this
excellent source for increasing your knowledge from the comfort of
your own home.

Not Just Playing Around: A Review of Accessible Windows-Based
Games
Jim Denham and Heather McComas

We review accessible games from AllinPlay, BSC Games, and GMA
Games. Whether you want to drive a tank through enemy territory or
simply play a good game of cards, the authors find there is
something for you. In the past, AccessWorld readers have told us
that playing games is at the bottom of the list when it comes to
how they spend their time online. Perhaps this article will change
some minds.

=================
5. Shopping Online at Lands' End and L. L. Bean
=================
Koert Wehberg

Each site was evaluated using both Window-Eyes and JAWS for
Windows.

The Lands' End web site <http://www.landsend.com> uses both an
online catalog format (where you enter numbers for items directly
from the printed catalog into edit boxes) and an e-commerce format
(in which you find the product online using a mouse or the Enter key)
to sell its products. The home page is laid out in several large, unwieldy
tables with links and graphics, which are primarily accessible only to
skilled screen-reader users. The tables used to list different products
are problematic due to their disorganized column layout.

Some images do not have accompanying alt-text to describe their
function. There are no "Skip navigation" links to let you jump to
the text of the page. Since Lands' End requires you to input
product numbers from the print catalog into edit fields in order to
make an online purchase when using the catalog format, shoppers
who are blind or visually impaired should avoid this section of the
site. Edit boxes in the catalog quick-order form were not read
properly, because the fields are unlabeled and the form is poorly
laid out.

The e-commerce portion of the site worked well. Once we added
specific items to our "Shopping bag" it was easy to create an
account and purchase the selected products. You must add an
item by selecting a particular size shirt or pair of shoes, because
there are no "Add to cart" or "Buy now" buttons. Unfortunately, it
is easy to miss the instructions to "click on a size to select an
item." So you can tab along and hear "small, medium, large, small,
medium, large" over and over.

Headings were read when tabbing through forms, and choosing our
home state was made painless with friendly combo boxes.

Like Lands' End, the L. L. Bean web site <http://www.llbean.com>
offers you the ability to shop via an online catalog or using an e-
commerce format. L. L. Bean's home page is easy to navigate,
containing clearly labeled links and graphics as well as only one
table. There are no "Skip navigation" links on the site. We also
found examining product lists difficult, due to inaccessible tables
with poorly coded columns. Be aware that if you attempt to take
advantage of certain options, like the "Build Your Own Backpack"
option, using Flash is required to complete the task.

L. L. Bean allows you to browse their print catalogs online.
Unfortunately, the pages contain unlabeled graphics, which make it
very difficult to select and view a specific product. The e-
commerce section of the web site again proved easier to use.

After selecting "Men's" from the home page, and "Oxford shirts," a
window opened asking for permission to install Macromedia's Flash
player. Choosing "Close this window" closed Internet Explorer.
Repeating the above steps and choosing "View this feature now"
allowed us to continue shopping without Flash.

After creating a user name and password, you can purchase items
by selecting the "Add to shopping bag" button. The occasional
unlabeled form heading did not prevent us from buying the shirts we
wanted in a timely manner.

Lands' End and L. L. Bean are both usable sites for online
shopping. Overall, L. L. Bean is easier to use with a screen
reader. As usual, it is necessary to spend some time examining
the site's layout. After repeated visits, you will find browsing and
purchasing products easier and less frustrating.

=================
6. What's New
=================

New Products Unveiled at Summer Conventions

Pulse Data HumanWare announced the BrailleNote PK, a new, smaller
and more powerful PDA. The BrailleNote PK weighs less than a pound
and measures 6.8 inches by 3.6 inches by 1.3 inches. New features
include: BlueTooth and wireless capabilities, a USB port, Windows
Media Player, compatibility with all braille formats and Microsoft
Word and An address list that can be synchronized with other
BlueTooth-enabled devices. The product will ship later this year.
The company also announced the release of two new braille displays.
Weighing only 1.23 pounds and 0.86 pounds respectively, the new 40-
cell and 24-cell Brailliant refreshable braille displays are among
the smallest, lightest and most compact displays on the market
today. The Brailliant 24 and Brailliant 40 are designed for use
with a laptop or desktop computer, and offer both BlueTooth and USB
connectivity. For more information, contact: Pulse Data HumanWare;
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>; web site: <http://www.pulsedata.com>.

Freedom Scientific demonstrated some new applications for its PAC
Mate personal digital assistant. StreetTalk is a GPS program that
uses Destinator, an off-the-shelf database of points of interest.
You can now plot and follow routes using the PAC Mate and this
software. FS Reader is a DAISY book reader. It can handle both text
and audio books. Both products sell for $79.95 each. More PAC Mate
software is available at <http://www.pacmategear.com>.

Kurzweil Educational Systems demonstrated Version 9, an upgrade for
Kurzweil 1000 to be released in September. Building on the
program's diverse range of features enhancing reading productivity,
the new version includes additional online search capabilities
(AccessWorld is one addition, as are two online encyclopedias),
improved scanning accuracy, the ability to navigate links in
documents, a talking business calculator, and expanded study tools.
Ray Kurzweil, renowned inventor of the first reading machine 30
years ago which has led to the Kurzweil 1000 software of today,
presented 30 scholarship winners with a copy of the software at the
National Federation of the Blind convention in Atlanta, Georgia on
July 4. At the same event, Kurzweil, now Chairman Emeritus of the
Bedford, Mass., company bearing his name, delivered an enlightened
and amusing speech predicting the technology of the year 2020. One
prediction, which is currently well on its way to being reality in
the next year or two, is a portable scan-and-read device, a
handheld unit for voicing such environmental items as signage,
product labels, or restaurant menus for people who are blind. For
more information, contact: Kurzweil Educational systems, inc.:
phone: 800-894-5374 or 781-276-0600; e-mail:
<[log in to unmask]>; web site: <http://www.kurzweiledu.com>.

Bookshare and NFB Offer Newsline Online

Bookshare has partnered with the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB) to make newspapers and magazines from NFB's Newsline
telephone service available to Bookshare members. The New Yorker,
The New York Times, and many more publications will be provided in
both DAISY and braille formats for download. For more information,
contact: Bookshare; web site: <http://www.bookshare.org>.

2005 AFB Access Awards Call For Nominations

The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) seeks nominations for
the 2005 Access Awards, which honor individuals, corporations, and
organizations that are eliminating or substantially reducing inequities
faced by people who are blind or visually impaired. Letters of
nomination should be sent by e-mail to James Denham at
<[log in to unmask]> and must be received no later
than September 13, 2004. Detailed nomination selection guidelines
and a listing of past honorees can be found on AFB's web site,
<http://www.afb.org/accessawards.asp>.

Access To Printed Prescription Drug Information Needed

Responding to a request for information from the Food and Drug
Administration for input to a study on accessibility of
prescription medication for older individuals who are blind or
visually impaired, AFB pointed out that lack of access to printed
prescription drug information creates the potential for serious
error in medication management. This may be especially true for
individuals who live alone and/or lack the resources to pay for
high-cost technology that can provide access to the full range of
information needed to effectively manage medications. Outside of
the programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs, there is no
reliable third-party reimbursement for the purchase of such
technology. Low-tech "talking" prescription bottles, available at
little or no cost, do provide access but only to the information on
the prescription container. The detailed response is available at
<http://www.afb.org/section.asp?SectionID=3&TopicID=135&DocumentI
D=2454>.

=================
7. Contact Us
=================

Editor in Chief
Jay Leventhal: <[log in to unmask]>

Contributing Editors
Founding Editor: Paul Schroeder: <[log in to unmask]>
Senior Features Editor: Deborah Kendrick: <[log in to unmask]>
Crista L. Earl: <[log in to unmask]>
Mark M. Uslan: <[log in to unmask]>

Managing Editor
Ellen Bilofsky: <[log in to unmask]>

Associate Editor
Rebecca Burrichter: <[log in to unmask]>

Marketing Manager
Sharon Baker-Harris: <[log in to unmask]>

Web site: <http://www.afb.org/accessworld>

General e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>

AccessWorld, AFB's premier technology publication is a free, web-
based magazine. It offers multiple options for reading and sharing
content, including a braille embosser-ready file, a printer-
friendly version, and an "e-mail this article to a friend" option.

The new format also offers:
More timely access to cutting edge product evaluations
Sophisticated search capabilities
Access to all back issues of AccessWorld.

To advertise, contact the AFB Press Advertising Department; phone:
212-502-7652; e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>.

To submit an article, question for the Questions and Answers
column, or Letter to the Editor, contact: Jay Leventhal; phone:
212-502-7639; e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>.

AccessWorld Extra is published bi-monthly by AFB Press, American
Foundation for the Blind, 11 Penn Plaza, Suite 300, New York, NY
10001. Products included in AccessWorld Extra are not necessarily
endorsed by AccessWorld (R) or AFB staff. All rights reserved.
Copyright 2004 American Foundation for the Blind.

AccessWorld is a trademark of the American Foundation for the
Blind.

"Remove" instructions
You are receiving this message because you are an AccessWorld
reader. To be taken off the distribution list, please reply to this
message with the word "remove" in the subject line, and we will
remove you at once. (If you do not wish to read AccessWorld you
have received this e-mail in error, and we sincerely apologize).

You can unsubscribe at any time. To remove your name from this mailing
list, or to find out what other newsletters are available from AFB, visit
http://www.afb.org/myAFBNewsletter.asp.