From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:01:44 -0400

Yesterday a poster discovered that Glide will say its floss is GF,
while Oral B will guarantee "only" that they don't intentionally use
gluten either in ingredients or in processing, but they can't
guarantee against the extremely remote possibility of contamination
before an ingredient is in their hands. This poster, and others I'm
sure, prefer the folks who will "guarantee" the product is GF.

I'd argue that both products are probably equally safe and that Oral
B is in fact the company that's being upfront. The reality is that
Crest almost certainly does not control the manufacture of all
ingredients (or for that matter all the ingredients in all of their
ingredients), so there's also a very tiny chance of contamination in
their products. They just don't say it and Oral B does. Some people
think this is "waffling" or "wishy-washy," but whenever you call any
other company and ask if a product is GF, all you're really learning
is whether they put a gluten ingredient in it or whether they use
gluten somewhere in the processing. NO company is guaranteeing you
that they never, ever get contamination. They can't

I have no financial interest in Oral B and, in fact, don't think we
even have any of their products. And I think that both Oral B and
Glide are safe products. We should do all we can to stay as safe as
we can, but I think this chase for a "guarantee" is illusory.

Richard