From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:25:30 -0400

I lost a lot of weight right before my doctor diagnosed my celiac.  I had
never weighed more than 165 and at the time I was diagnosed, my weight was
down around 145.

Once I started eating a GF diet, I started putting on weight.  From October
until about January, I went from 145 up to around 175 (where I am now).  I
continued to run and work out at the gym, so the weight got equally
distributed.

As I started gaining my weight back, I started having pain in my left breast
(I'm a male, 44 years old).  A short time later, I started having pain in my
right breast too.  Not muscular pain.  A really bad soreness under the skin.

I went to my doctor who sent me to a surgeon.  The surgeon said I had
Gynecomastia.  He told me (and I've learned from other research) that this a
kind of benign growth that is often associated by hormonal changes.  Teenage
boys will sometimes have enlarged and painful breasts when they're going
through their growth spurt.

When it happens to someone my age, the doctor says that it's often
associated with a heavy ingestion of hormones, usually from beef.

But I eat hormone-free beef.  I also don't take an steroids.

Here is my theory.  I'll welcome thoughts on it:  My "levels" (of minerals,
vitamins, etc.) were at below-peak my whole life because of my CD.  Now for
the first time, I have all the proper levels of all those things.  As a
result, I am going through a growth spurt that I should have had when I was
16.  This is what's causing the Gynecomastia.  Am I out of my mind?  The
surgeon dismissed this theory out-of-hand.  But I think that's because it's
not normally his job to analyze things.  It's his job to FIND things and
then remove them.

I'm going to a radiologist to make sure there's no cancer.  The surgeon is
very sure there is none.  He said he's only concerned because I have pain
and it's his job to alleviate pain.

Thanks for whatever anyone can contribute,

Richard Paul
Washington, DC