From:
Mireille <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:23:54 -0500

I have received numerous responses.  All but 2 say they wont touch the
beer.  One said he (or she, dont remember) called Budweiser and they told
him Bud Light only is GF. Others asked me details to have GF beers.

The GF beer made in NY state is:  Ramapo Valley Gluten Free Honey Lager
,www.Ramaopvalleybrewery. com

The original poster was angry with me.  He really WANTS the beer to be GF.

Here is an excerb of an article from Mr Don Kasarda, which is highly
respected.  Until he tells us it is o.k. to have the beer, I wont touch
it.

"Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:43:55 PST From: "Donald D. Kasarda"
([log in to unmask]) Subject: beer proteins/peptides Paul Shattock
asked: )It has been reported that it is not necessary to have the whole
molecule )of gluten to get the classic coeliac response so presumably
soluble )peptide elements (from breakdown of the protein) could still
evoke this )response in a technically "gluten-free" beer. )Am I correct on
that one Don (Kasarda)? Yes, Paul is correct. A typical gliadin (or
hordein) protein will contain approximately 300 various amino acids of 20
types linked end-to-end in a specific sequence into a necklace-like chain.
During the enzyme action in the process of beer making, however, the chain
is broken down into smaller pieces. Testing for the intact protein will
probably show nothing because there are no (or only very small amounts of)
intact proteins of the gliadin or hordein types remaining and there are no
good standardized tests for the smallest peptides that might be harmful to
celiac patients. There is pretty good evidence for a 19 amino acid residue
peptide having toxicity (Ciclitira and coworkers, Lancet). This small size
peptide would require very special research to be carried out in order to
enable its identification in beer. It would not be filtered out from the
beer. Electrophoresis of the proteins of beer shows no intact hordeins.
This does not mean that the harmful peptides are not present. They may or
may not be present. I don't think the subject has not been researched
adequately. Don Kasarda, Albany, CA =====
http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/exp/exp95-4.html"

Mireille