From:
Mandy Kavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mandy Kavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:52:36 -0400

My original question was, "I am curious to know who all eats "GF" Frito-Lay
products, which product, and if they have reactions or not. Thanks in
advance!"  Please note that I am asking 3 things in a specific order: 1)Who
eats the product, 2)Which products do you eat, 3)Do you have reactions or
not.

First of all, let me say thank you to the 50 polite replies from those of
you who sent them.  Out of 53 total replies, the count is now at 10 people
who have had reactions.  I think people deserve to know the ratio of people
who do react to the people who do not.  In our home, Cheetos, Wavy Lays,
Regular Lays and Fritos are eaten with no problem.  My daughter had symptoms
in Disney World after eating Cool Ranch chips.  To be fair, I can't place
the blame solely on those chips due to other foods at Disney she ate that
was "GF" - who knows?  I will say I have not given them to her again.

Of course, as is the nature of this list, I had a few people respond in a
rude fashion (at least it appears that way via email - caps and exclamation
points denotes yelling).    One person said that I got skewed answers
because my question asked people to tell me which foods they do not react to
rather than which foods they do react to.  Clearly, that wasn't my question.

One last thing to think about - not even dealing with the "G" word -  Would
you be more apt to listen to someone who speaks defensively, rudely or
impolitely or someone who speaks with grace and kindness?  I'm sure every
person on this list is genuinely and personally concerned for the well being
of others but please remember that you will only make a difference in a life
if you speak in such a manner that the person who needs to hear you will
listen.  One place that I have always found people to be gracious and kind
is at www.delphiforums.com <http://www.delphiforums.com/> .  Do a search for
Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group.  They have many things to offer -
experienced medical professionals (who have CD themselves), a successful
restaurant owner who frequently posts GF recipes, a GF cookbook author who
answers tough GF cooking questions, and very supportive and understanding
members.

Mandy
Albany, GA