From:
Janet Wager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Wager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:39:24 -0500

Listmates:

Last week I posted a message about rice and corn crunch-ems (the response
from the company when our chapter president inquired).  It was as follows:

"Our local chapter president just checked on the gf status of these two
cereals.  Here is what she sent us:

I just got off of the phone with Healthy Valley, the manufacturers of Rice
Crunch-ems and Corn Crunch-ems.  The cereals are manufactured with gluten
free ingredients but are manufactured in a plant that manufactures wheat
cereals.  The cereals are not considered to be gluten free due to cross-
contamination.  Eating these cereals could put you at risk."

---
I had several responses from list members about this information.  They
ranged from "never had a problem with them" to "react to them".  Responses
are included below.  Looks like this is another product we just have to
decide individually on...
---

------------------
My husband is celiac and eats these cereals regularly.   He has had no
reactions to either one of them and will not stop eating them just because
they are not made in a dedicated facility.   From the amount of each of
these cereals that he has safely eaten (and his body would definately react
if there was gluten present through cross contamination), I feel confident
that Health Valley does a thorough job of cleaning their lines and
facilities.
----------------
I have eaten them alot through the years and haven't had a problem and I am
senstivie to gluten
I have been eating Corn Crunch-Ems for over a year without any
reaction and they are the Health Valley.  Just thought I would let you know
and also see if you get other responses.  This is how we learn.
I have had several reacitons to Rice Crunch-Ems.  They are definitely
contaminated.  I ate them based on the ingredients and should have called
first.