From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:23:05 -0500

My son was diagnosed approx. 5 years ago at age 20 months.  In all that
time, I think I've only accidentally given him something with gluten a
couple of times--that I know of, that is. Today was one.  A small,  homemade
loaf of bread labeled GF in the freezer.  It's the only thing I can think
may have caused this afternoon's reaction.  He's miserable and sad.  And I
feel like a terrible mom.  I know you shouldn't beat yourself up when
something like this happens, but it's hard not to when you understand your
role as caregiver.  Now my caring is focused on comforting him while his
reaction runs its course and apologizing for the mistake.  I'm not looking
for sympathy.  It just made me wonder what other parents feel when they know
they're responsible for the accidental ingestion.

Joy