EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 10:41:32 -0700
The mail message that "appears" to be sent by you is the result of a virus.   The virus can be on anyone's computer that has your name and email address.  The virus spoofs your name and sends out a copy of itself to everyone on the computer's email contact list.  The virus jumps from computer to computer adopting new names and sending itself out to new individuals. This id-spoof technique is effective and can be extremely dangerous.
Every email user must have up-to-the-minute virus protection on their computers.  Last month's update of you virus software will not be effective. The hackers are changing their code so fast that your virus data file will be out of date in a week.
Again, you can not stop your name from appearing on emails advertising tabloids, x-rated sites or destroying another person's computer.  (This technique is being used by the latest sasser/worm virus which is decimating campus computing across the nation.)  The only thing that you can do is update you virus protection data file often. If you don't, you may be part of the problem.

Richard Jones
Assistant Director
Disability Resources for Students
Arizona State University