From:
Valerie Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 04:36:32 +0000

I found the following information in the CSA Cooperative Gluten-Free
Commercial Products Listing:

Calcium Caseinate – This product is made up of a casein from cow’s milk
which is rendered partially soluble by combination with calcium.  Typically
contains MSG; thus the product may or may not be Wheat-free.

MSG – an amino acid used to bring out flavor in protein-containing foods;
that may contain gluten in selected circumstances.  When MSG is added to a
food as pure MSG, it must be labeled.  When MSG is added to a food as a
component of another ingredient, such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP),
then the MSG content does not have to be declared.  Sources for the
production of MSG in the US usually utilize a source of cane or beet or,
tapioca starch.  Foreign sources of MSG may contain gluten-containing
grains.  US food producers may be importing this product for use as a
secondary ingredient.  Some on a celiac diet continue to report having a
sensitivity or asthmatic reaction to MGS.

*******
calcium/sodium caseinate do not contain gluten...They are found in many g.f.
things from cool whip to coffee creamer.

They are hydrolyzed protein, just as mono-sodium glutamate is a hydrolyzed
protein.  They do not contain MSG, but are compoundssimilar to msg (but
hydrolyzed from casein instead of the protein glutamate) and can affect
those who are sensitive to hydrolyzed proteins, including msg.

*******

As for the Atkins, Morning Start bars that I mentioned……

They called me back to let me know that the flavoring in the Apple Crisp
Flavor Bars contain 5% malt flavoring.  That made my confidence in this
company increase however, I’m afraid that one of the other flavors that they
said was GF caused a reaction in my son.  I received 3 replies that made me
lose my confidence in Atkins.

One reply said that she called the week before I did and they told her that
all flavors contained gluten.

*****
As for Atkins, please be careful. I called them and they told me they had a
gluten free list of their products. I was so excited  I had them fax it to
me. I made copies to pass around at my local support group and found out
that Atkins' idea of what is Gluten Free and a Celiac's idea of what is
Gluten Free are really two different things. I don't know what standards
they use or if they check out their suppliers, but so many people at the
meeting said they had reactions to the very foods that were suppose to be
Gluten Free on that list. I felt bad because I had called the source of the
product and was still given bad information............this leads me to
begin to question answers I get from other companies

*****
Another reply ...... It's something else with Atkins.....they put powdered
OAT leaves in their products!  FDA rules say something can be called GF if
it contains LESS than 200 parts per million.  Atkins products are slightly
less than that.  They admit there is gluten in their products.  So, drop
their products and see what happens.

Premium! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/