From:
Tom Fitzsimmons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:52:13 -0000

*Another is finding more people complaining about corn sensitivity:

"I have met an ever increasing number of people, celiac or not, who
say that corn makes them ill and it never did before.  I just wonder
what in the world they are spraying on those fields out there!"

*Another has sensitivity to corn:

"I am allergic to corn anD wheat (I am not a celiac) - corn never
gives me canker sores, just hives or itchiness."

*Another hopes corn is not to blame for canker sores:

"I personally hope it is not corn. I have been bothered with canker
sores since age 16. L-lysine worked for quite awhile. Then Zovirax
worked for years, just taking one dosage when the canker sore
appeared. Acyclovir is now my remedy and it really keeps canker sores
and fever blisters at bay. The dermatologist worked with me on this
remedy. Not a frequent problem anymore. I will be interested if you
find that 300 people tell you it must be corn related. I eat corn
tortilla, corn based gluten free sandwich bread by Glutino that I
really like, and of course, corn on the cob in the summer. And the
only cereal I eat is a gluten free honey'd corn flakes by Nature
Path. Canker sores have not to date developed with this group of corn
products for me."

*This next  respondent suspects accidental consumption of gluten as a
more likely cause of  canker sores.  I have been extremely careful to
eliminate all possible sources of gluten from my diet, but I think I
still get them when I eat whole kernal corn (corn-on-the-cob,
popcorn) :

"I used to get canker sores a lot, also.  They stopped when I went GF
- and when I occasionally get one now, I can always think back to a
food I ate that was not gf - like soy sauce at a restaurant, teriyaki
sauce, etc."

*Finally a respondent thinks eating too much corn means having too
little lysine in the diet.  I have found that lysine does me no good
whatsoever in preventing canker sores.

"Corn does not contain the essential amino acid l-lysine.  A gluten-
free diet tends to be low in lysine, especially when you use a lot of
corn products.  Taking l-lysine supplements should help the problem."

********************

These next respondents  identify specific (other than gluten or corn)
causes for canker sores:

"I think canker sores are a real individual thing.  I get them from
too many oranges or nuts.  I get an angry outbreak just a couple
hours after eating them.  But, it may be something different for
someone else.  I am not celiac.  Best thing to do is stay away from
the items that cause it."

"Do you eat many tomatoes?  When I was growing up, I ate lots of
tomatoes, until I was told they cause canker sores.  I cut back, and
rarely have a problem now.  Also, I've heard that pickles or
chocolate can cause them also."

"I can't comment on corn.  But what about citrus  and/or tomatoes:
both of those give my daughter, (our celiac) canker sores."

"Canker sores are caused by lack of Vitamin C. Drink orange juice
every day." [Note that this is contrary to the experience of the
previous respondent who blamed too much orange or tomato in the diet,
and both foods are rich in Vitamin C.]

"Those sound more like a yeast or sugar problem.  In any case, a
virus, if I remember correctly."

"Sugar causes canker sores for me.  I imagine any foods that we are
allergic to could do it."