From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:09:25 -0500

Summary of Carlos O'Kelly's.

I only got two replys.  I did heard back from the company and this is what I was told by Dave Stwalley, Director of Food and Beverage:
All of the sauces have flour thickeners in them.
The salsa is gluten free and could be used as a sauce.
The corn tortillas are made with corn and the chips are made with corn.
Salads are OK, salsa could be used as a dressing.
Beans are OK
Steak has seasoning on it, but lists only pure seasonings, no seasoning blends.
Chili Con Queso is OK
Hamburger also comes pre-seasoned, but no gluten in those seasonings.

I did eat there on Friday, I had the chips with the chili con queso, beans and hamburger (no bun).  I did not have any reaction to eating there.  They were very nice and cooperative in helping me.

Other responses I got:

I contacted them last spring and was told there would not be anything to eat
there that they would guarantee would be GF. I've eaten there many times
pre-CD days and I can imagine that to be true. Lots of flour tortillas,
fried foods (cross contamination) and who knows what  the mexican/taco
seasonings contain. This used to be one of my favoriet places but I have
steered clear.

      I've never been to that restaurant, but I love Mexican food.  This is my rule for eating Mexican food.   Ask how it's made and stay away from anything with a sauce.    Anything "guisada" or "asada" is out (gravy).  "Al Carbon" is good (grilled).
      things you probably can eat:

      =  Fajitas, chicken, beef or shrimp with CORN tortillas
      =  Plain old tacos either crispy corn or soft corn
      =  Tacos al Carbon on corn tortillas
      =  Chile Relleno is great.  The stuffing is usually beef or cheese your choice.  But there are two methods of covering the poblano pepper.  One is, the poblano is dipped in an egg batter then deep fried (check to see if the batter has flour in it.  In the other, the cooked poblano is lain on a omelet style egg, the egg is wrapped around it  and then it is covered with a enchilada sauce.