From:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 03:59:23 -0500

Okay, I am trying to do the calzone summary one last time. Obviously, I
don't have the technical savvy I need for this kind of thing! Sorry for
the delay and thanks again for the ideas. Bon Appetit.

Michelle Azimov
Ventura, CA

**** In Bette Hagman's 'The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread' is a
wonderful mix recipe called French Bread Mix. From there I use the
crusty french rolls recipe to make pizza, rolls, bread sticks, and
bagels. I also spice it up and shake my chicken in it for oven fried or
pan fried chicken without having to egg it up first. I buy flour in
large quanties, mix up lots and then batch it out for double pizza and
make 3 large pizza's and some rolls when I cook. I found that the roll
mix recipe works best with a little less water and added flour mix or
potato starch or tapioca starch used to roll out on well greased surface
or use plastic wrap greased and then you can flip half over the
ingredients. I use my, I don't know what to call it but it is round and
when you push the top it cuts out the (bread) I use it on the dough into
a circle and will seal if there are two pieces together and the filling
inside, almost like a large ravioli. This was the best experiment and I
have done it several more times, I did the pizza ones for those who
could do cheese/pepperoni/sauce. Ham and sauce for us others who can't
do cheese/pepperoni. The plastic wrap works best to roll it out on, just
grease it a bit, we tend to use palm oil, it works well for us who can't
do corn/dairy/soy. I use a tart roller from PamperChef. Using a bit of
water and a fork will seal the edges.

I let them raise a bit and cook them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and
see if they are golden if not cook 5 to 10 more minutes, the pizza and
rolls all cook for 20 minutes.

The differences in the recipes are for pizza no baking powder and more
vinegar/dough enhancer compared to the French bread rolls and bread
sticks.
****

Calzone recipe

1/4 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
1 egg, lightly beaten.

In a large bowl, combine the above ingredients.
Shape in Calzones, and bake in preheated oven
350 F 20 minutes.  Let cool completely.
****

I use my regular bread dough and spread a spoonful flat on a cookie
sheet. Put any filling inside (I use chicken, mushrooms, mozzarella,
olives, onions and ranch dressing) Spread some more dough over the top,
smoothing all around the edges with a watered down hand. Brush with egg
yolk. Rise and bake till browned and bubbly.
****

I use Chebe all the time. If it is a little sticky, I just use a little
corn starch on the roller. It took several tries, but it is my kids
favorite meal. I do put a lot of shredded cheese in the mix and knead it
for awhile before I roll it out. I use a plastic French mat to roll it
out. I don't remember the name of the mat. I also add garlic and Italian
spices to the dough.
****

Two people recommended Gillian's - great frozen bread dough and frozen
pizza dough.
****

I have never made calzones GF or otherwise. But, I do use the chebe mix
with some regularity. I find it very easy to work with. But every now
and again it is sticky. I find if I add just a little more water it
becomes pliable and easy to use.
****

chebe mix should not be sticky unless you are adding more water than
they tell you to. the trick is to use only the 1/3 cup of water and to
work the dough with your hands to get it mixed in, it is tempting to add
more water but don't do it! I make calzones with the chebe and it is
awesome and beautiful!
****