From:
Betty Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betty Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:12:11 -0500

I just returned from a whirlwind trip to Europe and Canada and wanted to
share my great gf dining experiences:

Lillestrom, Norway, The Rainbow Arena Hotel: The restaurant in the hotel
has been extremely accommodating two years in a row. You just mention that
you need a gluten free selection and no questions are asked (no strange
looks here). The waiter suggests items or offers that any item can be made
gluten free. I had a wonderful salmon dish (of course one would have
Norwegian salmon while in Norway!) with all the side trimmings. The best
part is the waiter bringing out a plate of gluten free bread when my
husband's bread is brought out. Something I didn't even ask for. This bread
is also available at breakfast too. The hotel is a very nice hotel. We stay
there every time we return to Norway (my daughter lives there). Norway is
so celiac aware, even their McDonald's offer gf buns!

London, England, Criterion Brasserie Marco Pierre White, Piccadilly Square:
What a find this was. We were just strolling the area and stopped in front
of this restaurant. They had just opened the doors. It looks like the Taj
Mahal (sp?) inside, but rather plain on the outside. Very upscale, white
table clothes, wait staff in black/white with ties. When I explained my
diet to our waiter, no hesitancy at all. Knew what it meant and made
suggestions on the menu. I believe I had fish here also. Very delicious
meal topped off with rice pudding for dessert. No gf bread served though.
$$$$

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, Banff, Alberta, Canada: Like staying in a
castle. It was built in 1888 and was just the most beautiful place we've
been in a long long time. There are several hotel restaurants, but we
settled on the Bow Valley Grill. You can choose from the menu or they offer
an outstanding buffet. While I was looking at the buffet offerings, I asked
one of the chefs behind the counter about gluten free selections. Without
missing a beat, he took me through each item on the entire buffet I could
have. Then he called over to the pastry chef and asked if he had
any "celiac" desserts left and if not, to call upstairs and bring some
down. Amazing experience. I asked if they had many requests at the hotel
for gluten free food, and he said, "Every day. We have many celiacs who eat
here every day."

We ate at this restaurant twice because we loved the view from the
restaurant so much, not to mention the food. We also had our evening meal
there to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Another great gf meal. We
were so full that neither of us asked for dessert, but when my husband
mentioned that it was our anniversary, within minutes the waitress came
back with a gf flourless chocolate cake topped with ice cream to honor our
anniversary. Full as we were, we ate it anyway. Can't let something that
good go to waste!

A beautiful topping to a great vacation.

Betty Barfield, Ft. Worth, TX, USA