From:
Brooke Cortelessa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:18:26 EST

Again, thanks to everyone for their quick responses! This was my original
question:

I have seen some recipes that call for matzo cake meal. Does anyone know what
I can use as a GF substitute? Also the recipes call for Almond Extract. Do I
have to find a version of GF Almond Extract
*** Although I am not Jewish, I saw a recipe that looked great and I wanted
to try it!
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
For the extracts, until a few years ago, it was believed that the alcohol,
being the carrier in the extracts, had gluten if from gluten grains. But all the
scientists, and Canadian & US celiac associations say that there is no gluten
left after distillation, so there is no worry about this matter. But if you
still worry about this issue, I know for a fact that McCormick dont use grain
distilled alcohol.
2. Many responded saying that McCormick's is GF
3. PASSOVER SUBSTITUTIONS:
In baking, potato starch is used to replace flour or matzo cake meal. Ground
almonds can also replace flour in cookies and cakes.
Substitute 5/8 cup potato starch for 1 cup of flour, or use 1/2 cup matzo
cake meal plus 1/4 to 1/3 cup of potato starch instead of 1 cup of flour.
4. Type in "Gebroks" on a google search. They are using potato based
products. I can tell you that I have tried the Lieber's MAtzah Ball mix, wonderful,
and their new ready-made cookies, pretty good. I spoke to a guy from there today
and he said ALL non'gebrokt labeled items are GF even if some say so or not.
5. Sauers extracts are all supposed to be gluten free.  Of course, being made
from corn they are not kosher for Passover.
6.McCormicks spices are all Gluten Free. They use a corn based alcohol as the
base for their extracts. To Verify you can call McCormicks at 800-632-5847
or visit their website at www.mccormick.com

Thanks everyone!
Brooke in FL