From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:47:41 -0800
You have already answered your own question.  If the POST beep code
listed for your motherboard says you have a bad timer, then yes, your
motherboard is "fried" and needs to be replaced.
With that said, if you have an AMI Bios.  This beep code (4 short beeps)
*could* mean your memory is bad (to quote: "4 short beeps = Memory
failure in the first 64 KB Operational of memory, or Timer 1 on the
motherboard is not functioning")  So, try the new memory, but get ready
to buy a new motherboard if that doesn't do the trick.

Tony Mayer
Sysop
The Magic FunHouse BBS
http://bbs.magicom.net

>On an HP Pavilion PII 6470Z, 400MH cpu, after a lightening strike
>crash it gives four beeps on POST then shuts down.
>A web site indicated that this was " System timer failure ".
>Would this indicate a bad ( fried ) motherboard?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml