From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:03:04 +0900
Other articles, nothing new but this guy is a good writer.

...One thing that always struck me as a kid  was how much time and
effort people in those days spent doing things like  tapping trees to
get the sap to make a little bit of maple syrup.  Contrast that  with
our current situation: A person with no special skills can knock on
doors  in my neighborhood and make $8 an hour doing basic yardwork. In
90 minutes, he  will have enough money to go down to the local Sam’s
Club or Costco and buy fifty pounds of refined white sugar.  Refined
flour is even less. With  modern production methods, that’s how cheap
the stuff has become...

http://www.john-ross.net/atkins.htm

... For over 30 years I believed I had a will power deficiency.  I now
realize  I have a carbohydrate addiction, where eating sugar and flour
results in that  unfortunate combination of feeling stuffed, yet
craving more.  After 48  hours of cutting out all carbs, this
phenomenon VANISHED.  Hunger is now a  far different feeling, more like
the not-unpleasant muscle ache after a workout.   I'm hungry right now,
so when this is done I'll fry up three strips of bacon.   I'll like the
taste, and after three strips I won't want any more.  This  phenomenon
still amazes me.

http://www.john-ross.net/atkins_ii.htm

Maybe I will write him and tell him about paleo.