From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:16:26 +0200
From: "Tom and Anne Donlon" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:13 AM
Subject: Newbie questions

> First and most important, any suggestions on transitioning my son?  He
> only
> eats soy patties, yogurt, crackers, bread w/peanut butter (well, almond
> butter now), and other non-paleo foods. He won't touch meat or veggies,
> and
> sometimes I have to try hard to get fruit in him. He will eat apples (and
> sometimes bananas) with almond butter spread on them, and sometimes nuts.
> worry that if I take out the non-paleo stuff, there's not going to be much
> left that he'll eat. I'm still breastfeeding him (I think that's VERY
> paleo!) so I know he's getting some good stuff but he's too old for
> breastmilk to be his sole or even main source of nutrition. Any ideas for
> making my neo-kid paleo? :-)

There is no such thing as a neo-kid. They are all paleo-kids and will eat
what there is to eat and what they see their parents or other persons eat.
Trust that! Of course, if you have made a big thing of the healthyness of
those foods you mentioned and now have changed your mind and he is not a
small baby anymore, it will be confusing for him. But, you are still his
palo-mother and he is your paleo-kid and he will follow you if you give him
a chance. This means you decide what there is to eat and you don't ask him
what he wants or need. You know what he needs and he is learning to be a
bigger person than he is now. He is lerning that from you, older children
and other older persons. His a small child. You are a grown up and he knows
that if you don't know how a baby should live then he has less chance than a
snow ball in hell because he certainly doesn't know about life. This makes
him insecure and when he screams and craves it makes you insecure. This is
not so much a question of food but of you feeling sure of your right and
duty to run your childs life.
Still, you asked about food and my suggestion is this one. Throw away those
foods that he is not very interested in and those that you feel are the
worst. When he is happy and calm introduce free eating of rather tasteless
vegetables. Cucumber is good. If he is more than 2 years old he can handle a
small knife and he will both eat from his own work and feed you little bits
which you will of course accept graciously. Then you give him for instance a
pear and you are on the right route. Don't worry so much about meals just
get him onto acceptable foods one step at a time. If he chooses to scream
you still choose to be calm and friendly and don't try to change too many
things at the same time. Don't introduce whatever you want him to eat while
there is a turmoil. Remember, you don't learn to navigate in full storm. Not
you and not him. I presume here that you husband is with you on this
journey. Good luck!
This is really off topic so if you want to you are free to e-mail me off
list

> Other questions I have include:
>
> --Is flax paleo?

Definitely not - no seeds are! In Sweden flaxseed is traditionally used as a
laxative and that works because the body gets in a hurry to get rid of that
poisonous stuff.

Eva