From:
Marylee Grasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:15:03 -0600
> right now I think I am at about 1600 to 1800
> calories a day and I am hungry.

I eat a very large portion of green veggies at every meal.  So although
calories are low, food volume is not.  I think the fat, and additional
volume provided by the green vegetables helps prevent the hunger.  I've
noticed that I need to eat some meat with every meal, or I will get hungry,
or just generally won't feel good.

> concern is one, that my metabolism will slow down at 1,200 calories, and
> two, I will loose muscle rather than burn fat.

That's where I think weight lifting and walking is important.  I think it
helps keep my metabolism up.  I am also increasing strength (using heavier
weights) in the gym, so maybe that is a good indicator that there isn't
muscle loss.  (I say "I think" about all this, because I'm not any kind of
expert here, I've just experimented a lot over time).

> it I might actually go to eating fruit rather than veggies. In a way it
> doesn't make sense due to the increased sugar/carbs, but like you said, I
> think it's not good to let the body get to accustomed to anything
> and fruit is something I rarely ever eat.

My major carb source is either fruit or sweet potatoes (I love baked sweet
potatoes).  If I eat fruit though, I have to forego the baked sweet potato
for the day regardless of how much I would love to eat both.  Berries are
probably the best fruit when trying to lose weight, but I haven't gotten any
in a while.  I tend to want to put honey on them, and that pretty well kills
the benefit. :-)

Marylee