From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:28:39 -0400
Kristina K. Carlton wrote:

>Hi Todd,
>
>Thanks for posting this. I am by no means a purist (had a small piece of
>bread and some low carb ice cream last weekend) but I don't splurge on a
>regular basis anymore like I used to. The reason I typically brought my own
>food was not just because of paleo, but due to a dairy allergy. I was
>reacting to subfractions like casein, and whey, and also things like butter.
>That made it really hard to eat at parties or in restaurants. I am sensitive
>to eggs, too, and that complicated things further. Dairy allergy is gone now
>which makes life SO much easier.
>
>Anyway, thanks again for your feedback. I think your approach sounds great
>and I wish I could lighten up a bit more about it. :) Maybe when my health
>is back to where it used to be I won't worry as much about it.

Hello Kristina,

I realize that my approach doesn't work for everybody.  In particular,
people like yourself you experience unpleasantness from certain foods
(whether they are paleo or nonpaleo) have little choice but to avoid
them altogether.  I've never had any problems with any foods, from the
most wholesome to utter junk  I have the proverbial cast-iron stomach, I
guess.  Some would say this isn't such a good thing; maybe it would be
better if my body gave me feedback when I eat the "wrong" foods.  Some
say that after eating paleo for a while, the forbidden foods *will*
cause a reaction, as my body reverts to Edenic purity or something.  I
didn't find that to be the case, even after being quite rigorous for a
substantial time.  In fact, the only food that I have a little trouble
with now is quite paleo: various forms of lettuce and salad greens.  I
don't digest them well, and this is something that started long after
starting to eat paleo.  I get a bit of bloating and gas, and the greens
tend to exit undigested.  It's not a problem unless I eat salads all the
time, as I did for a while.  Now I just don't, and the occasional salad
doesn't bother me.  I have no specific health issues other than a
tendency to gain weight, clearly a result of insulin resistance, but
staying lowcarb in general keeps this under control, and I've started to
use cinnamon as a medicine.

Todd Moody