From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:44:46 +0100
On Aug 01, 2004, at 9:14 pm, Michael Weis wrote:
> What do you mean by a fruit addiction? Since I started eating paleo, I
> have
> had to force myself
> to start eating fruit, since I don't normally crave it. Now, I eat
> fruit
> almost every day...bananas,
> plums, plumcots, oranges, pears and peaches mostly.

Mike,

When I say I think I have a fruit addiction, I mean I find it very hard
to look at a piece of fruit and not eat it, when I eat fruit it
generally makes me hungry (for more fruit but also for food in
general), and even if I've had no fruit all day, I only have to have
one piece and I can eat a whole basket full of the stuff.  My mum says
the same sort of thing.

> What could be bad about eating fruit? I know that the books say not to
> eat too
> much of it if
> you're in the beginning stages of trying to lose weight, but are there
> other
> reasons?

If it was wild fruit (I eat wild apples, raspberries and blackberries
when they are available) I wouldn't be so concerned.  Wild fruit is
obviously the most paleo fruit, and is only available in season (a
natural limit to consumption).  But modern domestic fruit is much more
sugary than wild fruit, and, for many reasons, I suspect my body does
not react well to excessive carbohydrates.  I think there is proably
nothing wrong with fruit in itself, but in people like me whose body
has been somewhat worn down by the wrong diet for so many years (21.5
in my case), then all-year round consumption of oversweet fruit is
probably not healthy.

Back in the days of seasonal food, it would have been easy to see if a
food was unsuitable for you, because you'd get symptoms early in the
season.  Now we eat a constant mixture of things, and it's no wonder
problems are so hard to diagnose.

Tonight I've eat every last piece of fruit I bought (fresh and tinned)
and I won't buy any more for at least a week.  I will see how I feel
after that.  With any luck I will conquer my fruit problem- recently
(for reasons I am partly guessing) I lost my nut addiction, so I'm
hoping for a similar result.

Anyone else feel this way about fruit?

Ashley