From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:24:03 +0100
On Jul 29, 2004, at 10:59 pm, Anna Kihrani wrote:
> I had my first (bites of) kidney today (lamb).  My husband
> cooked it deliciously with garlic and lime juice, and I gamely
> nibbled away, but couldn't finish the whole thing.  Too kidney-
> ish (although not as unpalatable to me as liver).  Theoretically, I
> like the idea of eating organ meats, and so I'm looking for
> suggestions of how to incorporate them in other meat dishes
> to tone them down a little.  Or any suggestions, actually.

Anna

I have a similar experience with liver- I find it *extremely* filling.
I am guessing this is because organ meat is much more nutrient-dense
and/or harder to digest safely (all the vitamin A?)- anyone know if I
am right, or the real answer?  I can push myself to eat a lot of most
things, but liver has a REAL stop for me.

On a similar topic, I had a long chat with my local fishmonger (at a
Tesco Extra) today.  I found out how cheap whole herring and mackerel
is (a good tip for people trying to eat paleo on a budget- in fact a
lot of the fish sold whole is quite cheap, and they fillet it too).  I
asked her if you could eat herring liver but she said what you actually
eat is the roe.  She was about to sell me "soft roe" before the lad
behind the counter asked what it is- and apparently it's the male sperm
sack.  I was put off at first, then I thought what the hell :)  I will
probably pass in future, and just ask them to save the liver from the
mackerel.  We've become meat snobs these days- this obsession for lean
muscle cuts is probably completely unpaleo, and possibly the reason we
eat so many carbohydrates (unless eating the carbohydrates is what has
enabled us to switch to eating lean meat...)

Ashley