From:
Michael Weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:15:04 -0700
Jean-Claude,

>>this knowledge of what is safe and what is not ( a fluctuating reality to
start with ) is hard wired in us as it is for animals . they don't need to
learn what is good , they eat what taste good at the moment that is all<<

While I certainly cannot question your own experience of bringing up your
children, I still
question your assertion that knowledge of what is safe and what is not is hard
wired into us. We
have the longest childhood of any species on the planet, by far. One of the
consequences of
that is that we must be taught things which are actually not hard wired into
us anymore. I'm not
saying we don't have instincts anymore, but children who put objects into
their mouths at the
stage of development you are describing will put any object into their mouths
whether they are
hungry or not, whether it is good for them or not, whether it is edible or
not. This is a well
known-stage of child development and is not about food.

Mike