From:
Michael Weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:32:05 -0700
>>infants come to the world with no judgments but a strong curioisity , they
will put anything in their mouths to try it out .
the instinctive knowledge of what is good or bad to eat is hard wired after
millions of years of evolution in relationship with the environement<<

Jean Claude,

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Yes, children will put
anything into their mouths
at a certain stage of their development, but it is not necessarily for the
purpose of eating it. I
wish I could remember where I read this, but it comes from an academic source,
that children
have an inborn instinct which is designed deliberately to discourage them from
experimenting
too much with food until they can be taught which foods are safe. I am not
making this up.
Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it.

Can you cite the references for your point of view? I am going on vacation for
two weeks so will
not have a chance to do any research of my own for awhile, but it strikes me
that this is an
important discussion and I would hate to see it go away without an effort to
bring in any
research that's available.

Mike