From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:34:55 -0400
Jerry Stegenga wrote:

>In a message dated 7/7/2004 12:54:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>It all  depends on the ingredients, doesn't it?  Sausage is just ground
>meat  with spices added, then forced into casings.
>

>Are you saying that our Paleo ancestors had spices and the casings to make
>sausages, and of course the knowledge.   JerrySteg

Spices are just herbs, and they had those.  The casings are part of the
animal carcass and they had that.  So there's nothing essential to a
sausage that our paleo ancestors didn't have.  Did they actually use
these things to make sausages?  Maybe not, but that's irrelevant.  Once
again we bump up against the "what is paleo" issue.  On this list, a
principle of composition is accepted, according to which any food made
from paleo ingredients is itself paleo.  If you reject that principle,
then of course sausages and a lot of other things would not be paleo.

Todd Moody