From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:42:08 +0900
On Sunday, July 4, 2004, at 06:40 AM, Michael Weis wrote:

>  is
> there any
> possible way that any significant portion of the human population
> could now be
> sustained by a
> diet based on animal protein, let alone the entire human race?

Living a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, no. I think though that a
meat-based diet is possible, if people actually wanted to do that. In
fact, I doubt there ever will be more than a small number of paleo food
faddists. Most people can' even stick to Atkins, which is a lot closer
to the regular diet.

Back to your question. It would require a conversion of most of our
current croplands to meat production, and all the same techniques to
force high production, herbicides, fertilizers etc to make it work. A
lot of marginal lands that we no longer bother to farm would have to be
brought back into production as pasturelands as well.

There wouldn't be anything natural about all this, but from a diet
standpoint it would be better. Closer to paleo.

About 2 years ago Amadeus and I went around and around about this. He
disagreed strongly with me. You might want to look up his posts, sorry
I can't tell you when that was exactly, or the titles of the posts.