From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:20:19 +0100
On Jul 01, 2004, at 1:55 pm, Adrienne Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure how fruit can be both "flavourless and over-sweet"???

There is a definite difference between sweetness and flavour.  A lot of
supermarket fruit tastes watery.  I had some blueberries a while back,
and they were nice, but they were like little pockets of sugary water.
You needed a whole mouthful to get any taste.

> You are
> grossly overgeneralizing about the quality of supermarket vegetables
> but in
> any event I'm glad you are fortunate enough to have wild berries and
> apples
> growing near your house because not everyone is so furtunate and so
> it's
> the supermarket or nothing.

This is the sad thing- we are having our diet dictated to us.  There is
a bit of a turning tide in that people are now demanding organic foods,
but they are not perfect, and the selection is limited.  True paleo
food is virtually gone (the exceptions being mainly wild fruit), and
will certainly never return as long as people don't even realise what
they are missing.

> In paleo times -- it would whatever one could
> find and depending upon season, that would means long stretches with
> little
> to no variety.

I've thought about this before, and it made me wonder what made the
orginal settlers of northern Europe come to somewhere with such a
limited range of foods, never mind such poor weather.  They must have
had a real taste for meat.

> As for the rest of your self-admitted off-topic rant,
> kindly spew your negativity and self-loathing as well as your apparent
> loathing for your fellow human beings on a more appropriate forum.  I'm
> sure you'll find a plethora of forums where there are plenty of
> miserable
> people foaming at the mouth and ranting about how awful the world is.

I don't have a loathing for either my fellow human beings or myself, I
am merely bitter that my many rational beliefs are ignored or ridiculed
but the irrational beliefs of many religious types are regarded with
the greatest respect.  So Jews can refuse pork, Moslems (I think) can
demand halal meat, but when I refuse bread or demand that my food is
organic/unsalted/unsweetened etc everybody thinks I'm weird.