From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 19:17:11 -0400
Wally Day wrote:

>>>I'm puzzled! Did a google on pyruvate and found lots; some about weight
>>>

>loss
>

>>>but instead of taking a pill that would lower the level of pyruvate
>>>

>Me too!
>
>On the last go-round concerning Anchell's diet, I asked the same question.
>Seems like it was right after a whole mess of supplement companies started
>selling pyruvate pills as the latest and greatest weight loss product. I
>received no enlightenment at the time (or, at least in any of the issues I
>actually read :).

I wish I could offer enlightenment, but I can't.  I've read Pennington's
original papers, but it has been a while, and my memory is hazy.  I
think the concept behind pyruvate supplementation is to give some sort
of energy boost, to "speed up the metabolism," but I don't think that
makes much sense, and the pyruvate supplementation fad seems to have
gone the way of vaudeville.  I won't try to reconstruct Pennington's
argument, since I didn't really understand it at the time, and I'll only
butcher it.  If, when things get a little less crazy around here, I can
dig up the article, I'll try to summarize it.

Todd Moody