NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:29:11 -0500
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> If it's marked Pareve, it has to be made on a dairy free line, otherwise it
> would be marked D. If you have a problem with it, it may be something else in
> it  not related to dairy.

The following is part of a reply I got from WholeSoy when I asked them
about their products after reacting to them.

> > I run the company that manufactures WholeSoy Glace. The Glace products
> > are produced on the same equipment as dairy products. We do, however,
> > sanitize between runs of dairy and non-dairy. In other words, we clean
> > with hot water (185�F) and sanitizing solution all the shared
> > > equipment, then double rinse between runs. In fact we rest the
> > equipment overnight, as per kosher standards in order to gain kosher
> > parve status. We take great care an effort...

A hot water rinse and the night off does not apparently remove all traces
of dairy...but it's good enough for the rabbi's.  This was several years
ago and it looks like OU (just one of many kosher certifiers) has actually
changed their rules at some point as is implied in their faq at
http://www.oukosher.org/index.php/faqs/

   ...Over the course of many years of Kosher supervision, our OU
   Mashgichim, in the course of supervising plants where dairy and non-dairy
   products are made on the same production line, have too many times
   witnessed situations where the plant did not perform an adequate cleaning
   of the equipment between the dairy and non-dairy production runs....

They go on to mention that trace amount contamination is a fact of life
and does not affect a products kosher status:

   ...As an example, a factory might produce dairy and parve products on
   two separate production lines.  Nonetheless, air-born particles of milk or
   whey powder might float onto the parve production line.  Though a person
   might suffer an allergic reaction, the product is still halachically
   parve.

I plan to contact Publix about their chocolate soy milk.  I suspect it's
either a case of violating OU's current rules of labeling a product parve
if made on shared equipment, or the parve line is close enough to a dairy
line that it's a case of cross-contamination between lines.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |