BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Easy bent lead pipe.
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:54:07 -0400
In re sliding on Buttermilk Falls, from:

http://www.familytravelguides.com/articles/easternseaboardstates/New_York_State/nyparks.html

Buttermilk Creek cascades down rocks spilling into a natural pool at the base of the falls and makes a terrific swimming hole. Up until a few years ago, swimmers could scramble up the rocks and slide down-which was tremendous fun, although quite dangerous, so it's not surprising that swimming is now limited to the pool. The park offers 7-1/2 miles of hiking trails on 751 acres, including a nature trail around marshy Larch Meadows, and a 15-acre lake for fishing.
(7 cabins with public toilets and showers, 4 cots, refrigerators, and electricity. 61 campsites.)

In re the rock slide at Taughannock Falls this from a 1998 International Society of Chemical Ecology newsletter reporting on their visit to a conference at Ithaca (though I doubt it refers to the one I remember--I think it happened in the mid-'80's):

http://www.chemecol.org/newsletters/vol_15_3.html#ithaca

The winery tour participants were even treated to a spectacular rock slide when they made a stop to see the Taughannock Falls.

I called my brother who worked at Taughannock after I did (I think I was there the summer of '76 and he was there in the mid-80's) and his recollection was that a guy was swimming in the pool when he was hit by a rock in the shoulder (if he'd been hit in the head it would've killed him instantly).  Not sure how big the rock was but apparently it wasn't the substantial cave-in that I remembered it as being.  I was up the trail a few years ago and I thought I remembered there was a pile of stone under the falls, maybe just on the right side back behind it, but my memory may be wrong on that.  Anyway, the guy sued the State and won so when my brother worked there he had to spend a lot of time enforcing the rule to stay back from the falls (I spent most of my time telling people to put their dogs on a leash and picking up Polaroid film packs and discarded diapers).

Back when I was young I remember there was a cage made of chain link fence over part of the trail going up to the falls.  It was at the point that the trail made a sweeping curve to the right with an area that was shedding stone right up to the edge of the trail on the left (as you were going up the gorge).  It wouldn't have stopped a major slide but maybe it was just to catch stones that were coming down from smaller slides.  It was removed by the time I worked there.

In re the Rongo closing I think that was an ugly rumor (an urban legend no less) that I picked up while tasting wine at The Red Newt Winery over on Seneca Lake.  But then again...the Rongo home page suggests they were closed for a time:

http://www.therongo.com/

Bruce ("there you go again...")