AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:41:39 -0500
Dear Accessibility Advocates:

Regardless of policy, AT and accessibility need to be understood as the
"everybody" issues that they truly are. Once all library staff members,
including student assistants, are trained on the Library's AT equipment (by
whomever), perhaps preferably as part of required general diversity
training, then  library personnel should be able to assist patrons with the
workstations, etc.  AT can be viewed as just one more excellent service that
the library provides. As 9/11 horrificly taught us, life is unpredictable.
Our needs change from day to day, even from moment to moment. So standard AT
training ideally should introduce people to the wide spectrum of AT.  Today,
we may need a screen reader. Tomorrow we may need also a Braille display
and/or tactile graphics.

Ellen Perlow

>From: "Sage, Robert D." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Community members using a university library's accessible res
>             ources
>Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:17:50 -0700
>
>Right.  That's kind of the problem that we're having.  Students and
>other members of the campus community are trained by  disability
>services.  When they come in to the library, they are expected to know
>how to use the techonologies they need.  Not so with the general public.
>
>Rob

Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms and
more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp