Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:26:13 +0200
Subject: Stupid question about jerky

> How do I know when it's done? I put chicken strips and ground beef in the
> food dehydrator on 150 degrees about 12 hours ago.

Here is a link to a Celsius-Fahrenheit converter. Makes it easier to know
what you are talking about. I f i am only familiar with a centrigrade scale.

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

In the middle of  May  I dried some meat in my ordinary oven, keeping the
oven door open. I used minced meat from beef where 10% was fat. The heat was
around 50C/115F. It took about 18 hours. It worked out nicely. It is still
crisp and smells of nothing. It does not break in a crispy way, more like if
you would break a thin card board box. It even looks like that when the
fibres of the meat tears apart.

Then I lured my husband out into a new (for him) adventure. We walked 58
kilometers in the woods during three days. Two nights under shelter and
three full days of walking. For the first day we had brought boiled eggs,
some meat balls, smoked salmon, bananas, apples. It was not hot outside,
about 15C/60F so it kept well all through the day. The two other days we ate
the dried meat I had made and dried apricots, raisins, almonds, walnuts and
water. We did not use fire at all. None of us are addicted to coffee so that
was no problem. I am very fond of huge grape fruits so I had brought some of
them too.

Today I've taken a front leg of a roe deer out of the freezer. I'm going to
dry it in the oven the same way. Then I'll se if it works out well - I'll
inform you of the result.
Has anybody any experience using herbs for this?
Eva