C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:49:27 -0700
KJ,

CP itself probably doesn't worsen over time, but the way our bodies
react to it probably does.  Since my gait pattern is different, I put
more stress on my right arm and right knee.  I use a power wheelchair
most of the time now, because of that.  But when I was walking using
canes or crutches, I put more weight through my right leg because it was
stronger, and I put more weight through my right arm which had a cane or
crutch.  Because of that, I started using the power wheelchair about
three years ago because I developed carpal and cubital tunnel in that
arm.  Both of those happened because I used my arm in ways it wasn't
designed to be used.

Emotional problems could result from not being able to get around as
well, but they could also happen to someone without CP who is having
more trouble getting around as they get older.  I don't remember how old
you are, but I think I'm a little older, at 43.  The loss of ability I
face because I'm doing things that my body wasn't designed to do makes
me angry and depressed sometimes, so I see a link, but the CP itself
doesn't cause the anger and depression; there's nothing of a biological
nature going on in my brain that the CP caused that makes me mad and
sad.

Kendall Corbett

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950