Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:18:12 -0700

I guess I should clarify, were having "staff appreciation day" again and my boss knows its difficult for me to eat out but with out asking picks a restaurant and wants to know what I can eat so she can pick out a menu (she said EVERYONE will eat the same thing). I told her I would either A) rather not go (she said not an option as the meal is part of the staff mtg) or B) eat before and just have something to drink while there and again I was told not an option. I went to the thing last year at a different restaurant and spoke to the wait staff and the manager and the manager helped me pick out a safe meal (the ONLY thing that had a chance of being GF was a salad) and I over heard the manager stressing to the waiter to ensure mine had no croutons. It arrived and looked fine, after a couple bites guess what? The entire inside was filled with croutons! More then anyone else's salad for that matter. I called the manager over and showed him and he apologized but didn't even offer to replace it and just comped my salad. I was so ticked! My boss was there and knew about it and didn't care as she had gotten to eat. We have a new employee who is also celiac but I think my boss doesn't take it seriously because she sits there and eats the breaded stuff along with the regular staff and puts up with the effects. (I'm wondering if its a pressure to fit in thing is why she is doing it as she's known for several years she's celiac). Anyway I've worked there 18 months and every month we have to attend these meetings and they always serve lunch and not once has there been a single thing I could eat and they just don't get it. (I bring my own food to the regular staff mtgs). Can my boss require I eat the restaurant food?

Heather