Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:45:02 EDT

Dear Listmates,   Thank you very much for your input with regards to
Asperger’s Syndrome and Celiac.  I received about 30 messages, the majority of which
believed that the diet could be helpful.  I am sorry that this is so late in
coming.  I thought  that I had already sent  it.  Thank you so much for your
patience.
There were about 10 people who responded that had experience with both Celiac
and Asperger’s (or Autism,  ADD  or symptomology ).  They  all expressed some
improvement with GF diet, though 1 just saw physical, not behavioral
improvement.
There was one person who did not believe it would be worth while to try the
GF diet, her physician and information believed there was no connection.  She
has a child with CD and one with Asperger’s.  The gf diet could be too trying.
And another person who has experience as a behavior therapist with children
with asperger’s and autism,  found that if  the child had tested
positive for
CD,, the child did improve some while following the diet.  But her experience
suggested not as much improvement as some people believe.
7 people thought it would be worh checking into because of what they have
learned, read  in connection with Celiac and autism.  No one was able to show a
scientific connection,  but were able to share some of their sources of
information.
There were several writers who would like to have this information, too.
SOURCES:

http://www.autistics.cc
www.celiac.com
www.tacanow.com
www.gfcfdiet.com
SPECIAL DIETS FOR SPECIAL KIDS
UNRAVELING THE MYSTERY OF AUTISM AND PDD  (Both of these books talk about a
GF diet and autism.)
Tony Attwood, OASIS, Guide to Asperger's Syndrome,  and a website:
www.aspergersyndrome.org
A Mind at a Time by Mel Levine (for residual info), Temple Grandin - Thinking
in Pictures
There was also an article about Asperger’s in the New york Times on a Thurs.
I did not get the date.
As for the personal comments with regards to experience, here are some:

....I have celiac disease, and my son has Asperger's Syndrome.  We had him
tested for celiac disease just as a precaution and his antibody levels were
higher than mine ( even though he had no digestive symptoms!)  He went on
a gluten
free diet, and we immediately saw an improvement.  He had a lot less crying
fits.  He seemed to be able to control his outbursts better.  He was less
lethargic.  He had a lot more energy and wanted to socialize.  It really was the
best thing we could do for him.
.... Hi - one of my sons has Celiac (diagnosed through the blood test) (20)
and
 one has Asperger's (11).  I recently asked my pediatrician about the
 Asperger's being affected by Celiac, or gluten, or any connection
 whatsoever. He explained it and it made sense.  You are born with Celiac.
You show signs of it at about 10 months of age, or when you actually start
eating... My older son, he is  now 20, and was diagnosed with Celiac two months
ago.  Since a baby, he was vomiting, always had stomach aches and such,
and he
was tested ...: irritable bowel syndrome. ..recently with the diagnosis of
Celiac is he slowly, and very slowly, starting to see some results on a gluten
free diet. My younger son is 11 and was diagnosed with Asperger's last year,
although there were signs of some autistic tendencies from the time he started to
raise his hands.  However, he never had problems with any foods. ... He was
premature, and he did have severe breathing problems, all of which may
contribute to the development of the brain.  We aren't sure, but the Dr.
is sure that
he does not have Celiac because he does not have any symptoms whatsoever, and
the symptoms have NOTHING to do  with the brain, he said, they are only GI
symptoms.... So I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to find a link here unless
your nephew has trouble digesting gluten-containing food.  I also don't suggest
eliminating gluten just like that because gluten is not harmful if it is
tolerated and does contain protein.  More importantly, eliminating gluten from the
diet will also make the Asperger's child even more different, and he is
different enough without the added pressure of unnecessary dietary issues...  Also,
be very careful of high doses of vitamins and specialized food issues for
Asperger kids as they are unnecessary and routine-altering which is hard for
these kids.  Let them be as normal socially as possible - the high doses
do not
help, and can hurt. I have been to a registered dietitian for my AS boy
and she
was specific in that he can eat everything and nothing will affect the
Asperger's. There is no cure for Asperger's as it is a result of the formation of the
brain - nothing will change that - so concentrate on the socialization of the
child especially until they are an adult, and let them pursue whatever
interests grab their attention ,...
.... My nephew has Asbergers and has done 1000 times better since going gfcf
and watching artificial colors.  He follows the finegold diet and has made
remarkable improvements.
.... I was diagnosed with a nonverbal learning disability, which some
professionals consider to be a mild form of Asperger's, when I was 42. Along with the
learning disability, I was diagnosed with ADD. ... took Ritalin for the ADD,
which was very helpful, but didn't do much for the LD. I was diagnosed with
celiac disease in 1999. I don't think I noticed much of a difference where my LD
was concerned, or the ADD, for the first year. Getting used to the diet,
trying not to make dietary mistakes, etc., healing - didn't see a big improvement
in my learning difficulties or my social challenges. Somewhere between my
second year on the GF diet and now, I've improved dramatically. The learning
disability is still present - I have problems sequencing and making
friends in
social situations, among other things, but I'm much more focused and don't make so
many mistakes interacting with people.
...Well, I have a fair bit of Aspie symptomology and my family certainly
does! That was why I tried the GF diet in the first place. Yes, it helps,
amazingly well. I eventually gave up dairy too, except some kefir.  I also
corresponded with an Aspie-programmer type who took a job-placement test before and after
going GF. His skill levels actually changed! He became less good at
math/engineering and better at social/sales.
.... my son has Asperger's Disorder. When his brother was diagnosed with
celiac,he too went on the gluten free diet. Within 6 months or less he was in
regular classrooms at school and passed every test they gave him for placement.
That was 3 years ago. He is the most well mannered and mild natured child
I have
ever known. A true joy to be around now. .... is highly intelligent and more
caring and thoughtful than most people. I contribute this big change to the
gluten free diet. I don't have any scientific study to back this up but his
drastic improvement has been documented by out GI and pediatrician.
...Our grandson seems so much better after being wheat free for a couple of
years.  In fact, he no longer eats cupcakes at school during birthday parties
"because it makes my head feel funny."
He has turned into a good student in third grade with all A's except one
B.
Watching the diet really helps.  He has not been officially diagnosed, but to
me he had the symptoms.
....My daughter has been GF for about 5 years. I actually have not seen any
behavior changes in her from the diet, although the physical changes were
dramatic.
....A few years ago the "in" thing with all of the parents was to go gluten
and casein free, almost all of my clients tried it.  However, none of them
tested their children for celiac before doing so.  Unfortunately it did
not help
the vast majority of the kids.  BUT, the kids who tested positive for celiac
before going on the diet and those who were later put on a gluten
challenge and
tested, did improve.  The improvement was not as drastic as many would lead
you to believe, but it was there and I did see SLIGHT regression if the child
did not maintain the diet.  ...So bottom line is to get him tested.  If he tests
positive, the diet could very well help him, if he tests negative I don't
think I would put him through a the drastic diet change.
....My mother forwarded your inquiry to me, as she and I and also my son have
celiac disease.  My son also has Asperger's Syndrome.  We have recently
(since Dec.) put him on a gluten free/casein (dairy) free diet and have noticed an
improvement in his behavior.  He does seem to be able to better
concentrate at
school and some of the disruptive behaviors have lessened (although they are
not gone completely).  I would definitely say that it is worth the effort to
keep him on the diet even if he didn't have CD.  I don't know of any studies
linking the two, but in our case, they do seem to be linked
....my son (14 yo) has Asperger's Syndrome. We've been on the GFCF diet since
10/03.  His tummy problems have disappeared as well as his bm issues (usually
were runny). We did a dairy challenge back in March and he can handle
dairy
now! His gut is healed and he's so happy.  We have to wait a while for the
gluten challenge.  ... We have also gone soy free. His attention span is much
better as are his moods.
-----Thank you so much.   Mary J in Kansas