From:
Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:39:06 -0400

MaizeAbout a week ago, I asked the listserve if anyone knew if the
coloring-added to salmon bought in supermarkets is gluten free.  From
about 40 unanimous responses, I learned that
-  the coloring which is fed to farmed salmon to turn their unappetizing
gray color to pink is indeed gluten free.
-  this is not a problem anyway since the fish eat the coloring, we
don't.
-  farmed salmon is not a desireable food being high in mercury,
dioxins, pesticides and other toxins.
-  "wild" salmon is lower in toxins, costs more but tastes better, is a
bit harder to find (unless one likes to fish or has access to a whole
foods market).

Furthermore, the coloring fed to the farmed salmon is from marigold,
cochineal, or beta-carotene.  There is much controversy about this topic
since farming fish pollutes waters and reduce the feeding/breeding
grounds for wild fish.

A number of websites for those interested in further researching this
topic:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m1571/22_16/62741745/print.jhtml

http://www.worldandi.com/specialreport/2000/May/Sa22064.htm

http://ag.arizona.edu/urbanipm/insects/codhineal.html